The one most over-rated plane of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"The War" for the US at least!

"The War" for the US at least!
Yeah. And even those who insist it really started on September 1, 1939, are leaving out the unpleasantness between Japan and China that started on, um, [pauses to look it up yet again] July 7 of 1937. But even that was only the beginning of active Chinese resistance to the messing around that Japan had been doing for several years before that.
And then of course there are the Russians, for whom the "Great Patriotic War" began on June 22, 1941. Who remembers that date? (Well, a lot of people on this site, but not very many ordinary Americans, many of whom were not even taught to remember December 7.)
So it all depends upon one's point of view.

And let's not forget that between 1 September 1939 and 2 September 1945 the Finns fought three wars, losing two to the Soviets but kicking the Germans' butt.

I think we can all agree that World War Two started in September, 1939, with the invasion of Poland, and subsequent declaration of war from a multitude of countries. Hence the "World" part.
Do Americans think World War One started in April 1917, and only lasted a year and a half? Honest question, I'm really not trying to be flippant, and I apologize if it comes across that way.
Yeah. And even those who insist it really started on September 1, 1939, are leaving out the unpleasantness between Japan and China that started on, um, [pauses to look it up yet again] July 7 of 1937
That was a regional conflict, between Japan and China. The Winter and Continuation War's are also considered separate conflicts, even though they largely took place during the greater events of the second world war. This is getting off topic, sorry about that

"A Widgeon is a baby Catalina with all the issues that that entails" is about like saying the P-40 was the same as the P26. WTH, they're both fighters.
The PBY and G-44 were designed for totally different skill sets and missions and you know it. The only thing they have in common is operating from the water on occasion.

David Aiken did an article on Sanders and company engaging nine Zeros over NAS Kaneoha. Air Journal, Feb 2002? I can't find it any more but it was a great article.

As an American, I'm gratified to see that Mongolia saw fit to help out after PH.

ETA: That area west-northwest of China was, I'm pretty sure, under Soviet rule at the time and should be red and not green.

As an American, I'm gratified to see that Mongolia saw fit to help out after PH.

ETA: That area west-northwest of China was, I'm pretty sure, under Soviet rule at the time and should be red and not green.
That map is probably not specifically accurate, and its a stretch to say that the Soviet Union was Axis, then switched. They were never Axis, they just had a brief "Non-Aggression" pact with Germany.
I used the picture to illustrate that even though the US wasn't involved, it was still a global conflict. I think it does that fairly well, with Allied nations scattered across the globe

That's what happens when you use anachronistic maps to illustrate your point.

JRF Goose - A real/genuine small amfib
True and predecessor to the Widgeon. The G-21 Gray Goose was Grumman's first multi engine airplane, first civilian airplane, first all metal airplane (except the wing covering aft the main spar and control surfaces). C/N 1001 was first flown on May 29, 1937 and a total of 345 of them were ultimately built with production ending in October, 1945 with c/n B-145. A number of them are still flying today (don't ask, even the FAA doesn't know how many). About a half dozen were converted to turbine power, of those 4 are still flying.
The Goose was designed for wealthy New York businessmen/financiers to get from their Hampton/Connecticut homes to downtown New York City rapidly without the long drive in or rail trip. The first 13 airplanes were purchased by a syndicate of New York businessmen.

Users who are viewing this thread