The one most over-rated plane of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Was there a WW2 fighter that didnt get bigger engines and heavier guns through its service history?
Not particularly, but the key difference is that most aircraft could support the extra weight and weren't so limited in gear span AND in stall speed as to be a nightmare to land. The Spitfire was also spindly, but the elliptical wing worked much better for the low and slow landing and takeoff, and the takeoff process itself was much less complex.

The 109 was so tightly designed that there was no way to really make a better landing gear arrangement without creating a whole new plane. That's part of why the Germans tried to create both the Me 309 and the Me 209 II, although both ultimately failed to meet required performance.

Not particularly, but the key difference is that most aircraft could support the extra weight and weren't so limited in gear span AND in stall speed as to be a nightmare to land. The Spitfire was also spindly, but the elliptical wing worked much better for the low and slow landing and takeoff, and the takeoff process itself was much less complex.

The 109 was so tightly designed that there was no way to really make a better landing gear arrangement without creating a whole new plane. That's part of why the Germans tried to create both the Me 309 and the Me 209 II, although both ultimately failed to meet required performance.
I think the same could be said for the Spitfire, which had approx the same gear span and was also a handful to take off and land.

The Spitfire was a handful to take off and land, but not from side-to-side rocking or a tendency to swing heavily. It was much more due to the gear being positioned aft enough so that the nose was very heavy (tail was light?) and it was easy to nose over after the 2-stage Merlins and, particularly, the Griffons were installed. Sure, it did swing a bit on takeoff, but the rudder could compensate much better than the Bf 109 rudder at low speeds.

The Griffon Spits were said to be VERY easy to stand on the nose during braking. That was confirmed by a modern Spitfire MK XIV pilot at the museum one day when I asked ... very light tail in 3-point attitude.

The Bf 109 was very easy to rock side-to-side and drag a wingtip. The rudder wasn't overly effective at low speeds. So, the brakes were used to stay as straight as possible, if that's what you wanted to do. Many Bf 109 pilots simply lined up 35° from the intended takeoff heading and let it swing if they had the room to do so. They mostly flew from farmer's fields, so there was usually room by starting at one corner. Modern Bf 109 pilots who fly from grass have nice straight LONG, manicured runways, even if they aren't all exactly level. In the war, if you had to get off in a farmer's field length, you didn't have room to feed in the throttle gradually, you had to accelerate and get to flying speed quickly to clear the hedgerows. I'm thinking front-line improvised airfields, not actually military aerodromes. If the runway was NOT a farmer's field, then they COULD stay straight and take more room to get airborne.

Last edited:

Spitfire's wing was with considerably greater area, about 1/3rd greater. Same generation Spitfire and Bf 109 were close wrt. weight (bar the 'Griffon Spitfires'), so the wing loading of the Spitfire was much providing an improvement in low-speed handling vs. the Bf 109.

Pretty much.
We can recall that Bf 109 started it's life with engine of ~450 kg that made under 700 HP, armament being 2 LMGs. Spitfire started it's life with ~650 kg engine that did mor than 1000 HP, A/C being designed for 8 LMGs. Different inputs led to different aircraft.

About the wing loading, the Bf 109 had slats that opened when the airflow stalled, and that kept the airflow attached over the ailerons to retain roll control and also lowered the stall speed a bit. The slats didn't make up for anything at higher speeds unless the airflow started to stall, and then the slats would open, sometimes asymmetrically, depending on how coordinated the aircraft was at the time. It didn't allow the Bf 109 to turn with a Spitfire that was well-flown, but it DID allow the German pilot to fly right at the edge of a stall with no fear of losing aileron control in a stall. If the Spitfire pilot wasn't experienced, the Bf 109 could seem to turn right with it and maybe even inside it.

Perhaps this is where the stories of Spitfires being out-turned originated ... with German veterans out-turning Spitfire rookies, or at least less-experienced pilots. These two airplanes were close enough to one another in capability that the pilot could make a huge difference, and no doubt often did just that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back