I found this post on this forum thread
Spitfire Mk I, II and IIa's - Prop fittings There was a lot going on at the time which looks to me like 54 squadron doing R&D for the Spitfire MkI and the later Spitfire Mk II
The Supplement to the Merlin II Handbook for the Series III, IV & X Engines Revised and printed in March 1940 by RR gives the following options for propellers.
Fixed pitch Airscrew
Two-pitch Airscrew
Variable Pitch Airscrew, Rotol Internal Cylinder
Variable Pitch Airscrew, De Havilland with centrifugal weights
Variable Pitch Airscrew, Rotol External Cylinder, feathering & non feathering types.
Variable Pitch Airscrew, De Havilland Hydromatic, feathering type.
From a table of airscrew types in another publication the early Spitfires were fitted with the following Dowty props. as follows:-
Spitfire I RX5/4 magnesium blades
Spitfire II RX5/1 magnesium blades
Spitfire II RX5/3 Jablo or Hydulignum
These were all constant speed peopellers.
Mention is also made of Spitfire D being fitted with both RX and RS props with Weybridge blades.