The piece of paper that fooled Hitler

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As for the deception it is probably true that the cancellation of the order to move 1st SS
was due to a double agent who claimed that attack on Calais was imminent.
As in, the deception did play a role in German inaction during Normandy

Did you forget my past posts? I've always said that the deception effort reinforced German fears it did not create them and it's contribution to the final outcome is very small contrary to what has been preached by most history books. Thats not the same as saying it had no effect.

Personally I'd give it a 60 - 40. 60% deception and 40% transport difficulty. Desperate people can overcome tremendous problems. Had the Germans really believed that this was the real invasion site they would have moved heaven and earth to get more troops and armor there. The "waiting for the real hammer to fall" deception held them static much as it did during the Dunkirk halt. we'll agree to disagree

Well that's where we differ .For me it's closer to 90% real problems like units not being combat worthy (forming or refitting ) and lack of mobility and 10% deception.

What made most of the allied deceptions work more effectively, was Hitler's predictable personality. Even from as far back as Stalingrad, Stalin counted on Hitler's inability to resist the challenge of taking "his city" to suck him into a vortex that would force Hitler to stripe the flanks of his neighboring armies and force Hitler to commit his reserves. Once this was done the Russian Blitzkrieg was guaranteed to work.

Something tells me you didn't bother to read the previous posts....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back