The real face of NAZI Germany, a personal note (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Marcel, I know this is late, but what a beautiful gesture; that is a truly gracious and noble act that you and your partner have done. I am in awe of this. From a personal perspective, like many of us who frequent this forum, I have a morbid fascination for the Third Reich and have spent time exploring many sites associated with the Nazis from the point of view of a tourist with little or no connection to them or their history, being that to me as a youngster they were merely names in a history book in my little place at the bottom of the world. Whilst visiting these locations, however, the hurt that the Nazi regime caused was never far from my mind, and for those of you whom their deeds have affected, I will always be merely a bystander in admiration of your stance in acknowledging your past. Keep it up, my friends and never forget.

49452572753_187cfb9ec6_b.jpg
Auschwitz I 01

A week ago we've been tracing Benny's footsteps on that day in October 1942. We've been at the place where his house once stood. They have put 'stolper steiner' of 'stumble stones' in the pavement in front of where their house once stood to remember them This is being done all over Europe and I think it's a great gesture. The house is not there anymore, it's now a modern apartment building.
And then we went to Kamp Westerbork, the 'Durchfurz lager' nearby where all dutch Jews were collected and from where they were transported to the "working camps". The family stayed there for almost a month (not a week as I wrote earlier) until they were transported to Auswitz. We made contact with the information center there and we hope they can find some more details about the family and their stay there. We really hope for photos, maybe taken at the registration, but I don't know if that was done in 1942.

Here the Stoper Steine:
20210816_0032.jpg

The memorial of the transport that brought them to Auswitz, at kamp Westerbork.
20210818_0063.jpg

Last edited:
Benny has got a face
We were able to search through the photo albums that the grandparents left behind. And low an behold there were two photos of the family. We know for sure that one of these two kids is Benny, 5 years old, the other is his brother Louis at 4 years old. We're not totally sure who is who, although in my eyes, the right one looks slightly older than the left. This picture must have been taken between October 1941 and Februari 1942.
benny.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back