The Sixth of June

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thinking of my Mum's cousin, Frank, who went ashore on Sword Beach 70 years ago. His unit was specially trained to secure and defend the beachhead. Once that task was completed, he and his mates were assigned to a personnel pool to provide replacements for combat casualties.

Frank was assigned to the Welch Regiment, joining their push through Europe, but was captured at s'Hertogenbosch in October 1944. We never found out which POW camp he'd been assigned to but on 11 April 1945 Frank's parents received a telegram that he'd arrived safely back in the UK. A few hours later, a second telegram arrived notifying that Frank had died. I subsequently found out the cause was malnutrition.

I still don't know how Frank got back to the UK. The first POW camps were liberated much later in April 1945. Maybe he was left behind when the Germans evacuated a temporary camp and he was found by Allied troops.

Irrespective, I'm remembering you today, Frank. God bless you and all those from all nationalities who helped free Europe from oppression.

:salute: to all of the guys that took part 70 years ago today. Been trying to catch bits of the coverage on the TV today. I'm hoping to make it to Normandy for the 75th if I finally purchase a jeep and restore in time. Shocking to think that nearly 40,000 French civilians were also killed on D-day and the days that followed.

Operation Neptune: Allied casualities were at least 10,000 with over 4,400 confirmed KIA. German losses were at least 1,000 men.
May you all rest in peace your Tour of Duty is done

Attachments

• icon_salute_proper.gif
    icon_salute_proper.gif
    344 bytes · Views: 86

Users who are viewing this thread

Back