the third world war (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fly boy

Staff Sergeant
Jan 16, 2008
ok i think i am running out of stuff for froums but worst case some war in Europe starts russia get in to it and it kinda starts like WW2 but russia hits the US would we all be saved before large amounts of nukes or would we be screwed

flyboy,

first I want to suggest that maybe this question should be in the 'Modern' section.

second, to answer a question like that needs a knowledge of all the differents factors involved.

...some war in Europe starts...

I don't think you will see anything like that happen again unlessther are some very drastic changes. Most wars today are not fought in the way that WWII or WWI were fought. Its not about what part of the earth you are standing but a more cultural problem like Iraq, Somalia, Darfur, etc. Even Palestine and Israel goes deeper than who owns the Gaza.

And with the European Union, its unlikely to fins a major war against other nations who are members. Some squabbles and bickering but nothing on the scale of WWII.

...russia get in to it ....

The Red Bear is dead. They still have nukes and there may be a question as to how sincere they are in joining the global community but I don't think that the evil in the world is coming from Moskow anymore. At least not on a scale of a WWIII.

Most of your evil-doers nowadays who can even think of a WWIII are those countries that are still holding onto old style communism - like China or North Korea - or have a cultural, religious attitude towards the world - like Iran. I don't think nukes on the scale that we were brought up to be afraid in will happen but.....

Small strikes by limited nukes and/or crazy groups or terrorists who can get ahold of them, most certainly will happen.

Its a very complex issue, flyboy, and I'm sure some of my post may be incorrect but the upshot is, keep informed by reading the news and always keep an eye open for how that news will not always tell you everything.

Read the news and read between the lines.

...some war in Europe starts...
Doubtful, the next serious war is more likely to be fought over something like drinking water

...Russia hits the US, would we all be saved before large amounts of nukes...
I hope so

"I don't know what weapons will be used in World War III, but in World War IV people will use sticks and stones."

Albert Einstein
1879 - 1955

Realistically, a future nuclear strike is unlikely in the extreme to be on a strategic scale and more likely to be on an opportunistic level ie a tactical nuke or nukes fall into the hands of some lunatic fringe terrorist group. Even then they've got to figure out a method of delivery, with the current level of terrorist alert since 9/11, the chances of 'walking' it to the target are close to zero. Launching it would be just as hard as range is still a consideration, targetting and although I'm no expert, I don't think setting a nuke off is a straightforward affair.

I don't know. I think Russia could be more potent than we realize.

Remember how they were flying their bombers near to Alaska a couple years ago?

Everbody was a bit jittery about it.

Remember how they were flying their bombers near to Alaska a couple years ago?
Sabre-rattling
Russia misses her Cold War-level super-power status and likes to remind everybody just exactly who she used to be. I don't think the west would want to get into a fight with her but that cuts both ways, she'd be very unwise to get into one with us; a fight would leave both sides weakened and in a weakened state, Russia might have to consider an eastern border that didn't look such a threat 20 years ago.

Despite the machinations of Putin, I think Russia is far more likely to stand with us in any future conflict, than against us as I doubt the next aggressor would be a conventional one.

Why the obsession with a war against Russia in the near future? I notice it is a topic that some US members like to bring up fairly frequently.

Fact is, the Cold War ended twenty years ago and the next major global war, as Colin rightly said, will be over water of some other basic resource, not over the superiority of two ideologies which have both been discredited to some degree. Putin may rattle his sabre, and the US might rattle theirs back - as Bush did with his ABMs in Poland - but neither side has anything to gain from a confrontation, and both have bigger things to worry about than a rivalry that died two decades ago.

Just my 0.02 8)

Why the obsession with a war against Russia in the near future? I notice it is a topic that some US members like to bring up fairly frequently.

Fact is, the Cold War ended twenty years ago and the next major global war, as Colin rightly said, will be over water of some other basic resource, not over the superiority of two ideologies which have both been discredited to some degree. Putin may rattle his sabre, and the US might rattle theirs back - as Bush did with his ABMs in Poland - but neither side has anything to gain from a confrontation, and both have bigger things to worry about than a rivalry that died two decades ago.

Just my 0.02 8)

Now there I agree 100%

Me too.

Russia is more of a threat to western Europe than the US. And that threat is not militarily. It is economically (energy).

I think that Russia's biggest threat is with their immediate neighbors. Sparring over energy resources and land claims are MUCH more likely in the near future.

A threat to the US? Don't think so. Russian has better enemies to keep an eye on that are much closer to their border.

I will grant that Russian posturing over energy resources has turned nasty recently, especially with them temporarily cutting off Ukraine's gas. I also think there might be one or two more South Ossetia's to come, depending on where the new management in the White House go with East European NATO memberships and ABMs. But I can't see there being a clash of superpowers in the next decade at least, unless there is a major and unexpected event in resource availability.

i see this is more of a in a few year were stuck on what oil is left and then that could be a problem but other then that yea i guess

We should let Europe deal with Russia. We got to keep an eye on the Canadian threat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back