The UK weather or the Beast from the East!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

with yo guys freezing and us frying and drowning, I cant help thinking of that joke.....'a guy dies and goes to hell and the devil gives him three choices for eternal torture.....standing naked in a ice water, being roasted on a pig spit over a raging fire, or standing neck high in cowsh*t"...
So it seems to be coming true....my question is, which country is being forced to stand in the cowsh*t?????
Don't fall for it Parsival. The UK is an island, a temperate island. It has no real extremes of weather and so anything is considered extreme unless it is between 10-25C. We had an earthquake last week, 4.4 on the Richter scale and the press spent two days trying to find any damage or actually anyone who felt anything at all. The UK journalists reporting on this tosh will take skiing holidays where it is always colder than UK and summer holidays to places where it is always hotter. My prediction is the UK will just get wetter.

I am used to snow and freezing weather so it's certainly not UK wide but the snow now is certainly as bad as I have ever seen it so by UK standard yes it's bad.
I cannot say what Canada or Norway is like as I don't have a frame of reference and never visited a country in Thier harsh winter.
But I look out my window and yes by my standard this is bad.

We are supposed to get another 10 to 20cm by Sunday here, on top of the 45cm we already got in February alone!

This is the result from last nights 50km/h+ winds last night. I'm a strapping 5'6"/1.71m and my head doesn't reach the top of the solid area of the fence.

upload_2018-3-1_9-23-31.png

The wind whipped up the snow into a spectacular spiral column in my garden this afternoon but since it was snow surrounded by snow the photos were er um ....very white.

Had a power cut earlier, although not for long. Very cold, with 45 mph wind from the east, and more snow, with more forecast.
It's supposed to get better by Saturday, so if it does, I might be able to get out of the house without going flat on my Rs !

So the Beast from the East is over and we have more hysteria from Siberia. This morning, despite conditions being no better than yesterday the schools were open. So the girls who couldn't make it in yesterday walked in today in mini skirts, stacked shoes and no jackets. Strangest thing of all was two boys pulling a sledge with two snow balls bigger than footballs, WTF was that about? There is snow everywhere, just go wherever you want a snow man and make one.

Weather forecast for my area overnight states temps around 1 to 2C, moderate winds.
It's blowing a hooley, with 'wheelie' bins floating around the street, and bl**dy freezing !!

With a weather forecast of sub zero temperatures, high winds and snow. A group of bright sparks decided to have a 55 (fifty five) mile run across the top of the North Yorks Moors. The 300 runners started at 9AM it took until midnight for the rescue services to be stood down, 30 people described as "hypothermic". As a posters siggy says here "Stupidity has no limits".

Moors rescue for more than 30 runners in 'hypothermic state'

This fun run finished in Guisborough which is where Rochie's hotel is, I don't know if they got any extra trade?

Last edited:
Lordy. "Because each Hardmoors competitor was well equipped, with appropriate winter clothing and knew how to read a map and use a compass, they were able to keep moving until they reached a place of safety....." Apparently none of them knew how to read a weather forecast.

Lordy. "Because each Hardmoors competitor was well equipped, with appropriate winter clothing and knew how to read a map and use a compass, they were able to keep moving until they reached a place of safety....." Apparently none of them knew how to read a weather forecast.
Fubar, it is completely unbelievable how stupid people can be. We do not have extremes as you do in Canada or other places. On the top of the moors it is a land formed by glaciers and is completely flat, covered in heather and has no features at all. I have walked all across them in summer, but in winter in 40MPH winds with snow there is nothing to see that means anything on a map, if anyone has walked in heather it is more tiring than walking on soft sand.
55 miles is more than 2 marathons, as I said, stupidity has no limits, and they will all think everything was OK just because no one died.

Bl**dy iditots !
In that sort of terrain, similar to the area a couple of miles from where I live, it doesn't matter if you've got the best map in the world, and a GPS that's accurate to 10 mm, if it's blowing a hooley and snowing. If you can't see, can hardly stand up, and are cold and wet, you're not going anywhere, except closer to an accident, and needlessly putting other people at risk to come and find you, hold your hand a get you back to where you should have been in the first place - off the moors !
I've had to do it a number of times, but as part of 'the job' at the time, and I certainly wouldn't do it 'just for fun'. 55 miles over that sort of terrain is hard going even when it's dry, warm and sunny - do it in winter ?
Don' even think about it !

Every year Avalanche Canada issue warnings for the Rockies and every year, a day after the warnings, snowmobilers end up getting buried in avalanches in the very areas the warnings were issued for

Bl**dy iditots !
In that sort of terrain, similar to the area a couple of miles from where I live, it doesn't matter if you've got the best map in the world, and a GPS that's accurate to 10 mm, if it's blowing a hooley and snowing. If you can't see, can hardly stand up, and are cold and wet, you're not going anywhere, except closer to an accident, and needlessly putting other people at risk to come and find you, hold your hand a get you back to where you should have been in the first place - off the moors !
I've had to do it a number of times, but as part of 'the job' at the time, and I certainly wouldn't do it 'just for fun'. 55 miles over that sort of terrain is hard going even when it's dry, warm and sunny - do it in winter ?
Don' even think about it !
Airframes, it was my fathers homeland, he lived in Rosedale, my mothers family came from Pickering just to the south. I have hiked all over them and completed the Lyke Wake Walk which is 42 miles. But even then, with all the gear and all the support one time in summer I remember us all sheltering (if that's what you can call it) behind ancient barrows or "tumuli" when the wind and rain was hard, even with all the waterproofs and wool clothing I was cold to the bone.

Every year Avalanche Canada issue warnings for the Rockies and every year, a day after the warnings, snowmobilers end up getting buried in avalanches in the very areas the warnings were issued for
We have the "don't go into a frozen lake or the sea to rescue your dog" warnings. In almost every case the dog survives and the humans don't. In the worst I remember three people drowned trying to save one dog, well one tried to save the dog, the other two tried to save their family members and the dog skipped out of the water looking for its dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back