The USA interwar planes (1 Viewer)

Curtiss-Wright AT-9 advanced trainer.
Curtiss-Wright AT-9 twin-engine advance trainer..jpg
 
Curtiss P-36A maintenance
View attachment 856976
Does anybody know which unit was 92ED?
 
I love the looks of this plane. I understand it was difficult fly and wasn't to be sold on the civilian market. I don't know how true that was.
It was extremely squirrely.... Engine out on landing usually resulted in destruction. Only a couple survived the end of the war scrapping and tech school life. The one at Dayton is a composite of two airframes and a lot of reproduction work. Pima has part of one, but I don't know what it consists of. There is one cockpit section that might be the basis for a restoration, but I haven't heard anything on that project in years. I don't know if is this is what Pima has, or is privately held.
 
It was extremely squirrely.... Engine out on landing usually resulted in destruction. Only a couple survived the end of the war scrapping and tech school life. The one at Dayton is a composite of two airframes and a lot of reproduction work. Pima has part of one, but I don't know what it consists of. There is one cockpit section that might be the basis for a restoration, but I haven't heard anything on that project in years. I don't know if is this is what Pima has, or is privately held.
Was it specifically designed to be "challenging" to fly? It was supposed to be an advanced trainer, right?
 
Curtiss-Wright AT-9 advanced trainer.
View attachment 856981
Looks so much better in full colour:

he_National_Museum_of_the_USAF_near_Dayton%2C_Ohio.jpg
 
Bellanca XRE-2, 1st Marine Air Wing
BellAnca XRE-2 !st Mar Air Wing.jpg
 
Looks so much better in full colour:

View attachment 857213
Radioplane OQ-2A in the foreground, Culver PQ-14 in background.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back