The Weather Where You Live?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

-We have had a few not very large snow storms, at least where I live. The snow level got down to about 4,500 ft but only as a dusting. In town we got mixed rain and snow. At about 10,000 ft there was at least a foot of snow. We went from cooling the house to heating the house in 12 hours: gotta love Nevada weather!
-Good news on the Caldor fire. So far it has burned almost 222.000 acres (100,100 ha) but the snow storms really helped so it is now 98% contained.
-As of Tuesday, Oct. 12, the Dixie Fire has burned 963,300 acres (437,900 ha) and is now 94 percent contained due in large part to the snow. There are still over 1,300 personnel fighting the fire. With the peripheral burns the total fire "incident" went well over a million acres.

This morning here it's a 10 º c at 8AM but now 9:45 AM It,s a 19ºc. Heat Sun...
IMG_20211023_094823.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the Bureau of Meteorology Misinformation has got it wrong again. Stinking hot as the humidity is very high as well.

Getting it wrong is not surprising seeing the Wide Bay Burnett region at 48,598.4 km2 (18,763.9 sq mi) is 2.4 times the size of Wales (20,779 km2 (8,023 sq mi)) or bigger than New Hampshire, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Rhode Island and the District of Columbia combined (18,367.94 sq mi) but is covered by a single forecast. In the capital cities almost every suburb has its own forecast. Here where so much of Australias fruit, vegetables and meat is grown it is a case of the politicians don't give a **** so nor does the BoM and other government entities.

1635032185920.png

-Don't know if I'll get this off tonight. Locally we have winds gusting over 60mph and have had multiple short power outages.
-Last week was good for the Sierras. The moisture was enough to allow containment of both the Caldor and Dixie fires. The evacuations for Caldor fire, just south and west of Lake Tahoe, were lifted and folks got to go "home" and check on damage.
-But, as the saying goes, every silver lining has a cloud. We are in the midst of a "Bomb Cyclone" (a term I've never heard before) with a massive front off the Washington-British Colombia coast. Waves in the 40-50 foot range have tossed containers off ships, some 40 from one ship alone, and the storm was described as being equal to a Category Three hurricane. The rains have caused flash floods and folks in the Caldor fire area are again under evacuation orders. As the temperature drops we MAY get feet of snow above 8,000ft but for now, and when the temperature is above freezing, the denuded super saturated soil will obey the law of gravity.
(-Just had another power failure. A UPS is mandatory around here.)
-It is unlikely we will see much rain where I live but neighbors have posted dust storm photos on social media.

We got 56mm rain last night in a short period. Our water tanks are full and the dam has muddy water in it. More rain than July August and September combined. Wonderful.

Our lovely grey grass has gone all mouldy green and I guess next week I will have to chip the rust off the mower and use it for the first time in months.

We're getting hammered in NorCal from this weather event.
High winds and torrential rain in the past 24 hours.
Major flooding in many areas and concerns about debris flows coming off recent burn scars.
The upside is many of the area fires that have been contained but still burning, are being suppressed.
So you're why we only got the wind and .86 inches of rain. Rain hog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
:)

So you're why we only got the wind and .86 inches of rain. Rain hog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
:)
Truth be told, it was a flash in the pan.
Yes, we got some rain, no it wasn't historic (as the media has been saying).

To be honest, it was cool to see the satellite pics showing the cyclonic storm, but the winds and rain put it at a weak cat. 3 cyclone.

-Nevada is a desert. Where I live gets less than seven inches (17.75cm) of moisture (combined rain and snow) per year. Before last weeks' storm the Reno airport recorded just under 2.25" (5.7 cm) moisture for the entire year. After the storm the airport recorded just over 5.5" (14 cm) so we doubled the amount of annual moisture in two days.
-That isn't a lot of moisture but we had flash floods and rivers overtopping their banks in some areas. The folks in the California forest fire areas really got it bad; some roads are still closed due to landslides. As GrauGeist reported the western slope of the Sierras got far more rain and wind that the eastern slope and the Great Basin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back