The Weather Where You Live? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Pre-wife and myself have decided that the next big purchase is a portable gen. Oh and a new plastic trash can just to fill with water if this happens again. Dumping ice in the washing machines is great but weird pulling a drink out with a sock.

But 3 hurricanes in 2 months is crazy.

Good moves and I would suggest a small gas camping stove as the gen may be working hard just to keep the freezer and all USB items going. Some USB or 110v chargeable lanterns would not go astray either. You will need to take the gen set inside at night or it will "evaporate" as well.

Congratulations on the Pre-wire also.

You may want to look into some sort of power brick and a small solar panel. You can get a power bank with a flash light and small built in solar charger can recharge the phone a number of times and perhaps run a small camping light and/or a small personal fan. A 40 watt solar panel is not too expensive to extend the battery life.

Not sure what a small duel fuel generator cost these days. Gas and Propane so if you have a couple of 20lb tanks you are good for a couple of days. Once things go to hell propane may be harder to find than gasoline.

Good moves and I would suggest a small gas camping stove as the gen may be working hard just to keep the freezer and all USB items going. Some USB or 110v chargeable lanterns would not go astray either. You will need to take the gen set inside at night or it will "evaporate" as well.

Congratulations on the Pre-wire also.

We took metal muffin tins and placed a tea light in 4 of the muffin holes. When lit, they provided a good heat source for cooking.

You may want to look into some sort of power brick and a small solar panel. You can get a power bank with a flash light and small built in solar charger can recharge the phone a number of times and perhaps run a small camping light and/or a small personal fan. A 40 watt solar panel is not too expensive to extend the battery life.

Not sure what a small duel fuel generator cost these days. Gas and Propane so if you have a couple of 20lb tanks you are good for a couple of days. Once things go to hell propane may be harder to find than gasoline.

We are doing that. The problem has been since Hurricane Debbi, Hurricane Helene and now Hurricane Milton in just 2 months, the stores are empty of any gen, power pack, anything. Looking on Amazon but I'm distrustful of electronics ordered over the Net.

A former model club member now living just south east of Orlando indicated yard flooding, some wind damage but the power company estimate for restoration is three months.

Regarding safeguarding stuff from thieves, I am reminded of a generator theft during super duper storm Sandy in New England. One night when the homeowner realised the power was off but heard the generator still running, went outside to find his lawn mower putting away and the generator gone.

The Pre-wife and myself have decided that the next big purchase is a portable gen.
I have had a 2KW generator for decades but it is currently inop and needs work. Fortunately a few years back Northern Equipment advertised a 4KW unit with 110V and 220V output for something like $225. And they could deliver it to the store and I could go pick it up with no shipping cost. I used it for the first time when our power went down in Hurricane Nicole where wind hit and some awnings took down the power lines. I did not need it for Hurricane Ian, since the power stayed up despite it being a direct hit.
Another purchase you might consider is one I made: a window unit air conditioner, which I can use to make one room comfortable if I am running on generator power. You also should buy a 12V to 125VAC power inverter to enable you to run more items off your car.
Keep an eye out for good deals on generators after the hysteria dies down.

For charging electronic devices when we have power outages, I use my NOCO GB50 jump-box's USB port.

This little beast has yet to run out of a charge while keeping phones, iPad's and such recharged and it has a flashlight built in, too.

Oh, and it will effortlessly jumpstart a car with a completely dead battery, too.

I have had a 2KW generator for decades but it is currently inop and needs work. Fortunately a few years back Northern Equipment advertised a 4KW unit with 110V and 220V output for something like $225. And they could deliver it to the store and I could go pick it up with no shipping cost. I used it for the first time when our power went down in Hurricane Nicole where wind hit and some awnings took down the power lines. I did not need it for Hurricane Ian, since the power stayed up despite it being a direct hit.
Another purchase you might consider is one I made: a window unit air conditioner, which I can use to make one room comfortable if I am running on generator power. You also should buy a 12V to 125VAC power inverter to enable you to run more items off your car.
Keep an eye out for good deals on generators after the hysteria dies down.

Thanks for the advice. Can you show a pic of the 4kw genny? Love to see what it looks like and maybe I can find one. Regarding a/c units, we have 3 in storage that are only 2 years old along with our central air. This Jersey boy is figuring out life down here. And here I thought the gators would be the problem.

2004 was Florida worst ever Hurricane season. This one is nothing in comparison.

In Mid-August 2004 Hurricane Charley was forecast to go up the West Coast of FL, the eye remaining offshore; people in Tampa were concerned and some evacuated. Instead it took a 45 degree Right turn at Ft Myers and went to Orlando and then straight up I-4 to Daytona Beach. Devastation was incredible.
Then in early Sept Hurricane Frances was cutting doughnuts off the East Coast and broke out of the circle, hit near Hutchinsen Island on the East Coast and cut across the state at an angle.
Then on 16 Sep Hurricane Ivan hit near Gulf Shores Alabama.
Then on 26 Sep Hurricane Jeanne almost duplicated Hurricane Frances.

I had to give up living in Florida in Sept 2004. I took my Mom to my brothers house in Augusta GA for Frances, came home to a house with no electricity and after 3 days gave up with no power and no sign of there being any soon, and with the office having no air conditioning, and went back to Augusta. The power came back on after about 10 days and I came home and started again cleaning up the debris and repairing my fence, despite the remainder of Ivan circling back and hitting us. Then Jeanne was announced. I went back to Augusta and tried to finish the company reports that were due on 1 Oct. The power went out again and was back on after about 3 days. I finally came home around 1 Oct.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Can you show a pic of the 4kw genny? Love to see what it looks like and maybe I can find one. Regarding a/c units, we have 3 in storage that are only 2 years old along with our central air. This Jersey boy is figuring out life down here. And here I thought the gators would be the problem.
Beware of feather merchants from up north offering repairs or tree removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back