The Weather Where You Live? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There is absolutely no doubt that the weather has changed significantly in some parts of the world in my lifetime (eg Alberta and BC in Canada now have wildfires that were almost exclusive to June-July and the NWT in the 60s) but it is equally undeniable that weather in other areas has not changed one little bit.

This article from todays ABC Australia covers a lot of the Taurus Excretia that is being spread regarding the current disaster in Florida and how to identify what is suspicious "reporting".

Marcel, there seems to be a fringe element that "thinks" these violent storms are the result of climate change, or government sponsored weather manipulation and a host of other "interesting" sources.

This following is along the lines of "chemtrails" and other gems of the digital age.

To be honest, I would find it amusing if it weren't for the fact that grown, relatively intelligent adults, actually beleive this nonsense.
Well, they have a point regarding to the frequency of these storms in relation to climate change as the warmer sea water will provide more energy to these storm systems.
But indeed, these storms have been around since the beginning of time.

And as I said, let's stop this discussion here as I don't think it will end well.

Well, we came through Hurricane Milton remarkably well. I have not seen an actual track plot, but the eye either came right over us or passed very nearby. Winds shifted from 090 to 160-170-210-230-270-290-300. Only impacts at my place were a broken cross-piece on the fence, a sizeable limb off one of the sweetgum trees as well as numerous smaller ones, a piece of soffitt off one of the eves. Power did not go out until AFTER the storm had got to the Atlantic and even then there were just several brief outages. And the most important effect was the 5 inches plus of rain that transformed my side yard into a duck pond or alligator breeding ground - and since that flooded the septic tank it has imposed serious restrictions on my use of the toilet facilities.

Got three of the windows uncovered but it is still blowing and raining, so the rest will have to wait until tomorrow. Besides, I got almost no sleep last night so I may even have to wait until tomorrow to check on the airplane.

Anyone else experience the excellent aurora borealis last night?

20241010_203437.jpg
20241010_223250.jpg
20241010_224107.jpg
20241010_224548.jpg

Last night I was pleased to see that the standing water in the yard had quite visibly retreated, giving me high hopes that by Saturday the septic tank would be able to support a sizeable load of laundry to be washed.

The last night we had 2.3 inches of rain...... The water level is now back up where it was right after Hurricane Milton passed through. The forecast is for sunny weather in the mid-80's and no rain for at least the next 5 days, so the water should go down.

My next door neighbor's back yard is far more submerged than mine and today he is using a gasoline powered pump in an attempt to empty the later out into the street. Of course, the street is, if anything, a bit higher than his back yard so all he is doing is creating a flow of water back into his yard.

I got the length of soffit end-piece rettached after a struggle that required the use of two ladders and threatened to exhaust my supply of curses. I also inspected my roof and saw no evidence of damage or degradation; the roof dates from 2007.

Last night I was pleased to see that the standing water in the yard had quite visibly retreated, giving me high hopes that by Saturday the septic tank would be able to support a sizeable load of laundry to be washed.

The last night we had 2.3 inches of rain...... The water level is now back up where it was right after Hurricane Milton passed through. The forecast is for sunny weather in the mid-80's and no rain for at least the next 5 days, so the water should go down.

My next door neighbor's back yard is far more submerged than mine and today he is using a gasoline powered pump in an attempt to empty the later out into the street. Of course, the street is, if anything, a bit higher than his back yard so all he is doing is creating a flow of water back into his yard.

I got the length of soffit end-piece rettached after a struggle that required the use of two ladders and threatened to exhaust my supply of curses. I also inspected my roof and saw no evidence of damage or degradation; the roof dates from 2007.
If you exhaust you curse library, mine is available at no cost!

Your welcome.

Can't speak for Njaco Njaco but just across the street from us they had flooding of up to 15 feet, however that area is literally a bowl shape area. There is an apartment complex over there and as of today, it's still flooded, about 5 feet in the parking lot. Also there were at least three fatalities over there. I walked over and it was a surreal feeling, 30 cop cars, several fire trucks, sheriffs office had small boats out in the parking lot rescuing people from the second floor, the first floors were under water.

On Fletcher Avenue in Tampa where my daughters university is, it was a canal, over 5 feet of water. Her campus was evacuated (she was already home, we plan ahead) and her dorm has first floor flooding.

The coastal regions south of us had it much much worse. If it had not jogged south three hours from landfall, Tampa would have been swamped but good and I'd probably be typing from a canoe somewhere. Rain and wind were bad enough at over 90 mph, it was a thrill, I can tell you that.

However we came through in pretty good shape thank God, I feel for the poor folks further south, and there's still an estimated 400,000 people here in Pinellas county without electricity.

Last edited:
I am back from Alabama and my neighbor hood seems OK. Lot of minor tree damage and never lost power.
But the town/s north (Clermont and Leesburg) had power outages (street lights) and spotty gas stations, either no power or no gas late yesterday afternoon.
Saw power trucks from Louisiana, Arkansas, Ohio and Indiana heading south on I-75 ( I turned off north of Ocala to get around the traffic jams).

Sorry guys, I have been busy - kindof. No power since Wednesday. No water since Wednesday. I was charging my phone and a few USB fans with the cig lighter in my car. Full tank on Wednesday but by Friday 1/4 tank. No gas stations open.

Water problem is we are not connected to the city water - which is maybe a blessing since the sewers backed up into the city water. But..... the pumps for our community went down. But the back-up generators were supposed to kick-on. They didn't. Appears that the old gennys are busted and the new ones the park ordered haven't arrived. So no water to shake the dew off the lily. Been filling jugs at the pond which I am leery about since this is Florida and things lurk in water.

Power came back on at 3pm today. Great! But my big worry the whole time was I have a big, upright commercial freezer which I packed with wholesale meats at the end of August. WE froze some bags of water and placed inside just before Milton hit and didn't touch the freezer since. When the power came back on, we took a peak. Everything is still frozen! Just some hotdogs and frozen pizzas thawed but who cares. The $1500 worth of meat survived!

The Pre-wife and myself have decided that the next big purchase is a portable gen. Oh and a new plastic trash can just to fill with water if this happens again. Dumping ice in the washing machines is great but weird pulling a drink out with a sock.

But 3 hurricanes in 2 months is crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back