The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Canadian version? Or were there Italian or Australian built versions?

Yeah, I tried those Jim, including the Fiat G.91, but nothing showed up with the "blue tips" seen in Norab's images....however I'm an amateur Googler.

Maybe we're not thinking outside the circle....Piston powered?

your getting closer, it is indeed a prop :twisted: (and it moves fairly quickly)

Last edited:
My guess is... Yak-11 with F-86 wings and tail. But, the image is a (pretty good in my opinion) photoshop job.

For the rest of the story...

The air racer Czech Mate is a Yak-11 that has been heavily modified with a R-2800 engine, cut-down Skyraider prop, and a taller tail that resembles a P-51's. But, Czech Mate has its original Clark-Y airfoil wing and short landing gear that are not the best for air racing. In 2009, Bucky Dawson got a good shot of the aircraft under G, and the wings exhibited some unsettling wrinkles. As a result, the Czech Mate team decided to rebuild the wings.

Big dreamers like me hoped that the wing rebuild would incorporate a better airfoil, longer gear (for a longer prop), and gear doors that actually close (ongoing joke). While the wing work was being done, incredible aviation photographer and all-around nice guy Victor Archer would visit the shop on occasion and tease the rest of us as to its progress. As the ultimate tease, Victor used his mad photoshop skills to graft F-86 wings on Czech Mate's fuselage and said that it had flown with its "new" wing.

And that is our current image: Czech Mate (Yak-11) with F-86 wings and tail.

Back in reality, the wings were rebuilt to stock configuration (although strengthened internally), and the aircraft made its triumphant return to the Reno Air Races in 2013. Czech Mate has always been one of my favorites.

Holy wow Batman! :p

Thanks Bill. So, to recap, this is purely photoshop?

original.jpg

Not my challenge, but if it was I'd hand the cigar to the gentleman who first mentioned the North American Fury on the previous page, especially since we saw none of the Yak-11 fuselage.

Bill, had a look at your site...

https://oldmachinepress.wordpress.com/

You're a very knowledgeable man, kudos to you!

That is the image, I found it while cruising the net and the website played it straight. It was such a good job that I never realized until now that it was Photoshop. My deepest apologies to all, I meant no deception. By all means it should go to the FJ Fury guess.

The fuselage is a real image and the wings are a real image, but the wings on that fuselage is pure photoshop. I don't see any harm with your selection norab. This crowd seems to get everything too quick anyway and it made for a good challenge. I agree that it is Catch22's ball with his FJ Fury response.

Thank you for the kind words Graeme; I try.

For reference, here is Czech Mate at Reno in 2014. See what I mean about the short gear?
DSCF5430 copy.jpg

It was such a good job that I never realized until now that it was Photoshop.

All good norab. If I had of seen it I would have done the same! :)
Those photo-shoppers are very clever...

Catch...

Is that an under-wing podded jet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back