The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not Bellanca. The person/company that built the plane in question built many over the years, but none of which entered (serious) production. Despite two of his aircraft being in the Smithsonian (display or storage), I think he is unknown by many.

The aircraft above is the Flex Wing prototype (NX169W) built by Waldo Waterman in 1930 at what became Van Nuys airport in California. The wing struts incorporated an oleo strut that would allow the wing dihedral to be altered. The wings were hinged at 30 degrees, so changing the dihedral also changed the angle of attack. The idea was to alter the wings for the flight phase (landing/takeoff vs cruise).

The strut was also intended to act as a shock absorber to smooth out turbulence. According to Waterman, the NACA tested the aircraft and found that structural loads were reduced by 25% or so. The biggest problem was that the smooth-out-the-turbulence concept did not work; in fact, the opposite occurred. The up-and-down movement was exacerbated by the struts, and the Flex Wing occupants found themselves often airsick.

The thread is open for anyone to post another image.

So, a plane that actually flapped its wings?

In a way, yes, but not to generate lift like an ornithopter. Waterman jokingly referred to the aircraft as the "flapper," but the wings were not "flapped" in successive repetition. The idea was more along the lines of the variable-incidence wing of the F-8, as in, to alter the wing to suit a particular phase of flight.

In the image below, you can see how the 30 degree hinge line allows the wing's angle of incidence to change when the dihedral in increased. It would be interesting to know how the aircraft's speed changed and by how much with the wing angle, but I have not seen that info. I have also attached the patent.

Attachments

• US1783529.pdf
    503.2 KB · Views: 76
Boeing P-26 Peashooter ?

Looks like the gunsight mounted forward of the windshield ?

Users who are viewing this thread