The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Terry.

Military? WW2? British aircraft in a UK museum? The background - is that a wheel door?

Mother and Country / Pink Lady, Duxford 2006 ?

She's an F instead of a G ?

You're on the right track, and it does have a female connection.
But, as you've mentioned a couple, then to be fair to others, I'll need the exact type, and name !

Come on chaps, Garry has virtually given it away, so at least have a (now informed) stab at the type, at least !
Clues :- It's American, got more than one engine, this one isn't in America, that's not a door panel, this one is airworthy, you've all seen the type many times, and it smokes heavily on start-up !

Ignore the probe / antenna - it may or may not be fitted to service aircraft, and Gary is hinting the right way - just no one has actually yet stated what they think the aircraft is !

Here ya go chaps...was hoping one of you would pick this one up !

B-17G-105-VE c/n 8693....B-17 Preservations 'Sally B'

Attachments

• what.jpg
    what.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 40
Here I thought being American and smokes heavily, it was a GI on leave in Soho. Guess the bare metal, "Here I am, shoot me down" , was a give away for B19, B24, B25 or B29. Couldn't track down those strange triangular panel recesses.

At last, Gary has named the type, and it's nose art name !
It is indeed B-17G 'Sally B' at Duxford.
Those triangular panels are the very reason I cropped the pic the way I did - they're a dead giveaway for the latches on the hatch of the ball turret, and even cropped, I thought someone would have got it straightaway !
Here's the full image.

WIG full size.jpg

Good grief, looked at the turret, but not from that angle. Looked at the old photos of Nine O Nine when at Tom Reilly's many years ago. Good crop.

Yup, nice one Terry.

Allrighty chaps, have a looksee at this one of mine...and no, its not a Cessna 150 ! :)

Attachments

• What1.jpg
    What1.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 49

Users who are viewing this thread

Back