Then and Now

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vilnius, Vilniaus katedra

s-l1600.jpg

1673693824765.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ezelmarkt Maastricht
I believe your "now"-photo is from a different corner. Here is my suggestion (thanks to Google-maps):
s-l1600-jpg.jpg

BITAor7.jpg

The building on the left side is very significant with its pseudo-columns. The house on the right side has changed but the front elevation with a transom over the entrance door is still the same. Looking at the old photo the first 3 houses in the small street (Kakeberg)are not the same anymore. The 4-th house though is a prominent one with 5 windows in the 2nd floor. I "went" up the street and here it is:
vURLSax.jpg

Behind this building there is a 1-storey one (check the old photo) and then a 2-storey house with a kind of a gambrel-roof with a dormer. Check the old photo - you'll find it there as well.
Cheers!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I believe your "now"-photo is from a different corner. Here is my suggestion (thanks to Google-maps):
View attachment 702860
View attachment 702861
The building on the left side is very significant with its pseudo-columns. The house on the right side has changed but the front elevation with a transom over the entrance door is still the same. Looking at the old photo the first 3 houses in the small street (Kakeberg)are not the same anymore. The 4-th house though is a prominent one with 5 windows in the 2nd floor. I "went" up the street and here it is:
View attachment 702862
Behind this building there is a 1-storey one (check the old photo) and then a 2-storey house with a kind of a gambrel-roof with a dormer. Check the old photo - you'll find it there as well.
Cheers!
I think you are right. Thank you

I think you are right. Thank you
:thumbright:
You're welcome!
I like this thread and some of the places bring memories - I have either visited them or studied about them and the historical period (History of Architecture). I was in Maastricht in the late 80s but don't remember visiting the area of Ezelmarkt (this is the name of the street, it's not a market). I got lost in the small streets and didn't know which way to take. The only "marker" I had was the river, but the problem was I didn't know on which side I waso_O.
Anyway one day I visited the Maastricht University and it's just around the corner of the place you've shown. That's what made me curious to find more today. The building with the fake columns is in fact the Student Services Centre of the University (based upon Google maps info).
UzFoZlr.jpg

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back