Then and Now

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Elsass Wangen 1940-45

1657273407379.png

1657273518143.png

That's awesome. Thanks Snautzer01 Snautzer01 . I like the use of GoogleEarth to provide the modern view. Many thanks for sharing.

I did a similar thing for a painting showing the attack by the Robinson's Brigade, comprising 1/4th, 2/47th and 2/59th Regiments of Foot, against French forces at Gamarra Mayor during the Battle of Vitoria in 1813. One of my Great x3 Grandfathers was in the 2/47th. The painting post-dates the actual battle by many decades, but the location hasn't changed much even to this day. Unfortunately, the church in the background, with its distinctive low, square towers in front, is largely hidden by the trees at the side of the road.

Robinson's Brigade entering Gamara Mayor, 1813.jpg

Robinson's Brigade entering Gamara Mayor, 1813, Modern View.jpg

STALAG IX-B HQ Building, Bad Orb:

STALAG IX-B, Bad Orb - Camp HQ.jpg

Same building as seen in 2019 - it was then a Thai restaurant (I took the photo...I think it lines up pretty well):

IMG_20190928_135806.jpg

STALAG IXB around the time of its liberation in April 1945 - note the steps at the end of the long building on the right (not to mention all the crosses leaning up against it):

STALAG IX-B - Camp Hut.jpg

One of the few surviving WW2 vintage POW barrack blocks at Bad Orb in 2019 which I'm pretty sure is the same building as the one shown above. The upper part of the building has been renewed but the foundations are clearly original (actually dating back to WW1 when the site was a German Army barracks before being turned into a children's outward-bound centre during the inter-war years):

IMG_20190928_133602.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back