Theodore Weissenberger Bf109G-6 during Invasion Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Compare this with the picture above.... again, just asking.

Attachments

• jg5_126_871.jpg
    jg5_126_871.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 509
simple answer Theo was given one to fly. The G-6/AS was limited in Normandie to the units for the main reason. I./JG 3 had them as I have full on interviews from pilot and friend Horst Petzschler. Few G-5's made the units but Stab I./JG 5 under Theo's leadership did.

The G-5/AS units were pretty rare with maybe only 20-25 produced out of the supposed 176. By the way the a/c shows a double chevron the second part cannot be seen in the pic which is dark from Frappes work. Two better pics of Theo and the a/c are from Jean Yves Lorant in Dr. Jochen Prein/Peter Rodeikes premier Bf 109 F-K series

That is what I am looking at. I thought the G-5 or G-6 had the smaller more profound bulge not the larger more sleak one.

Yes, I have that confusion.... the round bulge should be seen, but I can't see any G-6 bulge. Maybe I am wrong.

yes it is not the Buele of the typcial G-6 series if you look. The angled arched plate is a photo indication of the AS and 605D engines. As I just said the present piocs from JY Lorant shows this to be true.

The bulge on the G-5, G-6, G-14 was for the mg 131's. The more streamlined engine cowling was large enough to house the newer more powerful AS type engines pl;us the addition of the enlarged oil cooler...

Erich said:
yes it is not the Buele of the typcial G-6 series if you look. The angled arched plate is a photo indication of the AS and 605D engines. As I just said the present piocs from JY Lorant shows this to be true.

The bulge on the G-5, G-6, G-14 was for the mg 131's. The more streamlined engine cowling was large enough to house the newer more powerful AS type engines pl;us the addition of the enlarged oil cooler...

Thanks for explaining Erich. Now we have the following:

1- I./JG5 were equipped with Bf109G-5/AS by June-July 44
2- Theo's aircraft wore "double chevron"
3- Those Bf109G-5/AS had 605D engines
4- Possibly scheme was the typical 74/75/76.

What about emblem? werk number? large tail?

all good questions. do not think by the one pic of the front of his a/c that it had a I. gruppe emblem or even a personal one at that. Will ask around if there is a werke nummer associated with his G-5/AS and if it had a tall tail. not thinking that it did though.... this started with the G-6/AS but not the whole series

I don't believe it carried personal emblem, but maybe I./JG5 emblem. I can't see much at all on picture #2 because of the propeller.

Erich said:

Aha thanks for the clarrification.

Erich said:
all good questions. do not think by the one pic of the front of his a/c that it had a I. gruppe emblem or even a personal one at that. Will ask around if there is a werke nummer associated with his G-5/AS and if it had a tall tail. not thinking that it did though.... this started with the G-6/AS but not the whole series

Did you find out something Erich?

Ricardo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back