Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think when the Americans hit that industrial area in Tokyo it was basically just a middle finger up to Japan :thebirdman: especially as they tied Japans peace medals to the bombs! - just payback really - although it did have more of an effect on the war then the Americans originally planned

But the American raid on Tokyo DID have an effect on the war with Japan because the Japanese pulled back more of their airforces resources to protect Tokyo from another embarrassing attack from the Allies and so eased up the pressure on the Americans in future - until i suppose the yanks started bombing the Japanese mainland!

From what I understand, the Doolittle Raid succeeded in it's goals of improving US morale at a time when we needed it, and proving to the Japanese that their home land wasn't immune to attack. It also caused the japaneseto move up their attacks on Midway and in the Coral Sea, which as you all know resulted in a strategic (albeit not tactical) victory in the Coral Sea, and a decisive victory at Midway.
As for the name of the airman killed when his chute didn't open. his name was Corporal Leland Faktor IIRC. Hope that helps :)

and i definetly think you're on ex or something! it had no military vlaue whatsoever, it was however a turning point in the war with morale

a war can't be won if there's no morale, it really made the japs think, and it really lifted the spirits of the americans..................

it noked the japs over and killed to many people lets hope it does not happen again

It wasn't the turning point, Midway was the turning point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back