Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i never said it was THE turning point, i know midway was the turning point, i said it was A turning point..............

you dont have to keep mentioning my spam though - i only do it when i agree with something, if i can build on what someones said then i do keep quiet 8)

I don't know if anyone has hear this, but after landing in China Doolittle believed he would be courtmartialed because of the mission.

you dont have to keep mentioning my spam though - i only do it when i agree with something, if i can build on what someones said then i do keep quiet

i fail to see how going "8)" builds on what some-one says...................

The Doolittle raid wasn't even a turning point, the Americans still had an awful lot cut out for them. Midway was only the turning point in the Pacific, not the whole war.

Midway shattered the myth of Japanese invincibility, the Doolittle raid made the first chink in that myth. The Dootlittle raid was also important for its role in causing the Japanese to attempt to force the "decisive battle" at Midway. It is possible, that without the Dootlittle strike, Midway would never have occurred.

But I doubt that very much since they were both pushing for Midway. It was going to happen no matter what.

I didn't say I agreed with it completely. But if the Japanese had delayed with the Midway attack and Shokaku and Zuikaku could have recovered from the Coral Sea damage, what then? These were the two best carriers the Japanese had and their presence at Midway would have made a huge difference.

The only difference it would have made is that it would have extended the war. Japan lacked the industrial and economic might to beat the United States in anything but the shortest of wars. Refer to this link for a very detailed discussion concerning this 'what-if'
http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back