Tomcat forever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The only use for them now is to be put in museums and on poles, their continued use would be a waste of money and resources just to satisfy some nostalgia - the F-14 is obsolete an in my last post it was CLEARLY shown why.

Buy you ticket early for Top Gun: Maverick!
How do you make a new top gun with no tomcats it wont be top gun anymore it will be bottom gun

And the Iranians have struggled to keep theirs in the air (with commendable results). That's doesn't mean those airframes can compete with 4th and 5th generation combat aircraft!
But when they are flying their just as dangerous as they used to be !!!!!!!!!!!!!

But when they are flying their just as dangerous as they used to be !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Errr, no they're not! Their avionics are old, their radar signature is as big as a pyramid and will more than likely get smoked before they could ever see their opponent. I guess with your way of thinking, "It's better to die than look bad."

Of course they're dangerous. No one here has said the Tommy was a weak fighter. We've only pointed out why it was superseded.

I think both the F-22 and F-35 are ugly. But I'd be willing to bet they're good.
Did you just call the f-22 and 35 ugly those are the prettiest stleath planes in the world

I dont speak latin but i think your wrong about them

That's nice, you have an opinion too.

Forgive the Wiki, but I had to chuckle about the emboldened part:

According to Tom Cooper and Farzad Bishop, during the Iran-Iraq War AIM-54s fired by IRIAF Tomcats achieved 78 victories against Iraqi MiG-21/23/25s, Tu-22s, Su-20/22s, Mirage F 1s, Super Étendards, and even two AM-39 Exocets and a C-601. This includes two occasions where one AIM-54 was responsible for the downing of two Iraqi aircraft, as well as an incident on January 7, 1981 where a Phoenix fired at a four-ship of MiG-23s downed three and damaged the fourth.

One missile taking down three airplanes is pretty badass. This is referenced to Tom Cooper and Farzad Bishop, but I haven't read them and can't opine on the reliability of the claim.

It accomplished this because it was against and inferior enemy that was caught by surprise and happen to be compromising situation (a tight 4-ship formation) and in 1981 it was state of the art. There was a bit of luck involved there as well!
Still lets see the hornet and AIM-120 try to do that

Look at this the B-52 have flown since the 60s and no one said replace it so if it can do it so can the tomcat

The B-52 has had two replacements (B-1 and B-2) in its strategic nuclear role for which it was originally designed. You know why? Because it could no longer perform that mission reliably.

Now put a Tomcat up against an S-400 SAM system and you'll see why it's no longer in use.

The only reason the BUFF is still around is that it's a good bomb-truck against nations with no AD capabilities. The Tomcat would work fine in those conditions. Put it up against an SU-35 or modern AAD; I think you'll be disappointed.

That's because time and technology march on, and good looks don't mean a damned thing to a smart missile.

Look at this the B-52 have flown since the 60s and no one said replace it so if it can do it so can the tomcat
Actually the B-52 flown since the 50s. It was a bomber and had an entirely different mission that lended itself to be continually overhauled and there has been consideration to replace it. You're comparing apples to oranges. The F-14 is now an obsolete design and again I showed you quite clearly why it's no longer in service. I liked the Tomcat (and still do) but you have to grasp reality, put your testosterone in check and have the intelligence and maturity to recognize you cannot justify your argument. I suggest you, on your own and with an open mind, examine WHY the Navy decided to retire the F-14, (and understand why the F/A-18 not only replaced the F-14 but at least 3 other airframes) you might learn something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back