Tomcat forever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was just another jet in the squadron. Aaron started digging into tail numbers and was the guy who discovered it (he is mentioned in the article). I've flown all but two or so of the 85xxx tail numbers, a good chunk of the 86s, and a large swath of the 75 and 76s (first two digits of the tail numbers). My tail on active duty
was 85118 (first C model to reach 4K and 5k flying hours). I got to shoot an AIM-7 off it as well. It's now part of the Massachusetts ANG.
Did you ever fly the F-15A 73-0086 now on a stick @ Jackson Barracks NG Hq New Orleans?

Did you ever fly the F-15A 73-0086 now on a stick @ Jackson Barracks NG Hq New Orleans?
I honestly can't say. At F15 school (Replacement Training Unit / RTU) I flew the early model A/Bs but don't have records of those tail numbers.

The USAF bought Eagles in batches. The A/B models were made up until 1977, then C/D models started 1978 (MacAir was making F-4s and F-15s at the same time) up through 1986. The C/D could utilize conformal fuel tanks, had 2k more internal fuel and improved radar.

In 1983 the MSIP (multi stage improvement program) which further enhanced the radar and allowed for AIM-120 employment and RWR (radar warning receiver). 1985 added improved F-100 engines (F100-100 upgraded to F100-220) which was essentially the addition of a FADEC as well as an improved Internal Counter Measures system.

So the USAF then went back to the newest A/B models and started converting them along with the pre-1983 C/D models to bring them up to MSIP standard (there were variations in these upgrades).

The school house flew the non-MSIP A/B models when I went through. I could have flown 73 and up tails but I don't honestly remember. I will check my personal logbook and see if I recorded any of those sorties.

Cheers,
Biff

Last edited:
Thread needs a cool photo

OYdU3uhmsA2Tn7VOgZy-DA4hhaioCVS427KVtvooO-0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back