Tomcat forever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Even the ugly chics need loving too. Thanks for stepping up and jumping on the grenade. :D

That's why I love the Skua. I'd never even heard of it until, as a kid on holiday one year, I found an old Novo kit of the Skua (ex-Frog moulds) and I was just captivated. It was slow, not particularly attractive, and had a built-in drag-maker courtesy of that almost vertical windscreen...but I still love it to this day.

That's why I love the Skua. I'd never even heard of it until, as a kid on holiday one year, I found an old Novo kit of the Skua (ex-Frog moulds) and I was just captivated. It was slow, not particularly attractive, and had a built-in drag-maker courtesy of that almost vertical windscreen...but I still love it to this day.

You found it hidden under your dad's bed huh?

The Boeing B-9 is prettier.
1645042022150.png

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!!!!

It's been working for me so far.

Don't discredit your contribution, my friend...

Then explain Congress.

Didn't they get elected by the people into power? :D And Americans think communist style governments are a bad idea! (that was a joke, okay...)

When this gentleman speaks on modern air combat, I open my ears and I listen. A world of knowledge and real world experience he has. Thanks for being here Biff.

Agree 100 percent. Please keep us informed about your world, Biff, it's very enlightening.

This discussion immediately reminded me of the debate over the RAAF retiring the F-111. Fans argued that it was still a capable platform - it was faster and had a longer ranger then the Super Hornets we replaced it with. Though an awesome aircraft, it was old and costly to maintain. This quote from the XO of 1 sqn regarding the F-111 is pertinent to the Tomcat, particularly the huge efforts to keep an old aircraft in the air.
"Unfortunately, in an era of true look-down, shoot-down radars on enemy fighters, the F-111 is also an aircraft that can't defend itself well," added Riddel. "Flying it, the crews really have to sweat the small stuff. The cockpit has no head-up display, so the crews really have to work to the best of their abilities. The aircraft is old. It requires 187 maintenance man-hours per flight hour. The time has come to move on."
F-111: Australia's Big Stick | Code One Magazine

This discussion immediately reminded me of the debate over the RAAF retiring the F-111. Fans argued that it was still a capable platform - it was faster and had a longer ranger then the Super Hornets we replaced it with. Though an awesome aircraft, it was old and costly to maintain. This quote from the XO of 1 sqn regarding the F-111 is pertinent to the Tomcat, particularly the huge efforts to keep an old aircraft in the air.

F-111: Australia's Big Stick | Code One Magazine

Ok...this is spooky. I know Dave Riddel, former F-111 nav. We did the RAF Aerosystems Course together at Cranwell in 2001-2002. Small world, huh?

I now have this vision in my head of an F4U-4N with an AIM 54 under each wing as well as the radar section to the F-14 nose attached to the leading edge of one of the wings!
Dumb idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back