Tomcat forever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am standing my ground the Tomcat is the only naval fighter we need
So I guess you're smarter than a gaggle of engineers, navy officers (some who flew the F-14 and F/A-18) military analysts (some former military officers) and DoD procurement officers, some with Master degrees (or more) who saw fit to retire the F-14 because it was old, obsolete and became a maintenance pig?

So I guess you're smarter than a gaggle of engineers, navy officers (some who flew the F-14 and F/A-18) military analysts (some former military officers) and DoD procurement officers, some with Master degrees (or more)?
Never claimed to be that smart

I never claimed to be smart and im sorry if i sound like an arse i just love planes love talking about them and i do have planes i perfer over others
Well you're trying to justify your love for an aircraft based on personal bias, not real world facts! There are many (some on this forum) who have worked on these machines or have close ties to some who do, and while we don't "know it all" we have the experience to discuss this from a level or authority rather than bias. Go back to the beginning of this gaggle and re-read post 14. Hopefully some of that might sink in!

Then explain Congress.

2B463CCF-555D-4A54-B8A1-260859369687.gif

I never claimed to be smart and im sorry if i sound like an arse i just love planes love talking about them and i do have planes i perfer over others

Ok, I will come out of not wasting my time retirement…

There is nothing wrong with loving planes. We all do. That is why we are here. I live, breath, and sleep airplanes. All my adult life I have worked in the aviation industry one way or another. Today happens to be the 8th anniversary of my very first solo toward getting my pilots license. I'm now trying to pass on my joy and love of planes to my children.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to talk about planes, and the ones we love. That us why we are here.

There is a difference between personal love and reality or fact though. Just because someone loves something, does not make it correct ir what is the best. The F-14 was an amazing aircraft (it still is), and when it was introduced it utilized the latest and best technology. No one here will dispute that…

However, like all airplanes, it became obsolete. The AIM-120 is more capable than the AIM-54 (which is older technology). The latest block F-18 are as capable or better than the F-14, more reliable, and cheaper to build and maintain. These are all facts. Best looking does not win wars.

Look, I love the F-14. It is my favorite jet fighter, however, no matter how much I love it (or you love it) will change that the newer generation if US aircraft (F-18, F-15, F-35, F-22) are more capable aircraft, and so are the aircraft of our potential enemies.

Thats life kid. I guarantee you that when the 6th Gen Fighter enters production and service, we will be looking to develop its replacement. It's how you stay relevant and at the top.

I really wish we had kept the tomcat it was a very good plane could still hold its own today. Shes fast and very armed carrying AIM-54s plus a cannon and a bombload if you need her to. There was no need for the F-18 anything it can do the tomcat can better LONG LIVE THE TOMCAT YOU WILL BE MISSED
VA5124,

Welcome to a great place to talk and learn airplanes! There are some very knowledgeable folks on here, with a lot of working experience on, in and around planes / aviation. I take it you are younger than the average guy in here (we all probably started our aviation journey just like you are) so be open to different opinions (often backed up by facts, written word, published articles), ETC. Hang in there and you will get to share and learn about some cool, obscure, popular or just plane neat aircraft.

I just read FlyBoyJ's post number 14 and its spot on. Yes, the movie brought the spotlight onto the F14, but remember it was a movie. Just a movie.

If the AIM-54 was so awesome sauce why isn't it in use still (the F15 and YF-12 I think both tested it)?

The USN has Zero kills to my knowledge with the F-14/AIM-54 combo.

If the F14 was as good as you want it to be, why wasn't it in the lead night one of Desert Storm and why did it get zero kills during that conflict?

I flew F-15A-Ds for 17 years. I have fought Tomcats plenty of times and speak from real world experience that it was past time to go. The Eagle version I flew is past it's prime as well, but still has some claws.

Also, the F18EFG has much more advanced capabilities than is advertised. For a good reason.

The AIM-7 was a great missile in close, and could handle maneuvering targets infinitely better than the AIM-54.

Again, welcome aboard. The longer you stick around the more you will learn (which is why I'm still on here a decade plus later).

Cheers,
Biff

VA5124,

Welcome to a great place to talk and learn airplanes! There are some very knowledgeable folks on here, with a lot of working experience on, in and around planes / aviation. I take it you are younger than the average guy in here (we all probably started our aviation journey just like you are) so be open to different opinions (often backed up by facts, written word, published articles), ETC. Hang in there and you will get to share and learn about some cool, obscure, popular or just plane neat aircraft.

I just read FlyBoyJ's post number 14 and its spot on. Yes, the movie brought the spotlight onto the F14, but remember it was a movie. Just a movie.

If the AIM-54 was so awesome sauce why isn't it in use still (the F15 and YF-12 I think both tested it)?

The USN has Zero kills to my knowledge with the F-14/AIM-54 combo.

If the F14 was as good as you want it to be, why wasn't it in the lead night one of Desert Storm and why did it get zero kills during that conflict?

I flew F-15A-Ds for 17 years. I have fought Tomcats plenty of times and speak from real world experience that it was past time to go. The Eagle version I flew is past it's prime as well, but still has some claws.

Also, the F18EFG has much more advanced capabilities than is advertised. For a good reason.

The AIM-7 was a great missile in close, and could handle maneuvering targets infinitely better than the AIM-54.

Again, welcome aboard. The longer you stick around the more you will learn (which is why I'm still on here a decade plus later).

Cheers,
Biff

When this gentleman speaks on modern air combat, I open my ears and I listen. A world of knowledge and real world experience he has. Thanks for being here Biff.

VAT5124, I do hope you stick around. It's nice having a useful presence. I'm not trying to pick on you, I'm just trying to get you to open up and listen a lil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back