Too much faith in stealth technology?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm sure that current potential customers of French weapon systems greeted with joy the fact that their supplier would reveal the secrets they've paid for.
Combine that with political pressures parsifal was posting about and one is not surprised to find out that Germany surpassed France in weapon sales with ratio of 2:1 in last 12 months.
Its worth remembering that the UK also had Exocets during the Falklands war. The problem was stopping Argentina getting hold of some more.

About Iranian F-14 (also at google books):

Amazon.com: Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units in Combat (Combat Aircraft) (9781841767871): Tom Cooper, Chris Davey: Books

Seems that either 'tactical mods' were not removed, or that Iranians managed to install the stuff they needed.

Yeah I've seen it. Again, depends upon your sources as too what to believe. If that is the same book, it also mentions that Iran got the AIM-54 thermal batteries via black market arms dealers. I aint buying that one.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
From what I have read an heard about through official and unofficial sources is that the Iranians used the F-14s for early warning because of all the other aircraft they had were not near the capability radar wise. And because of this, they were kept out of harms way for most of the time.

And lets be honest. If we were in their situation without any AWE aircraft, would we have done anything differently?

Also to keep the F14 operational with very limited spares was some achievement.

Absolutely. It was the smart thing to do to keep them off the front line. When you have a technology that is ahead of your enemy that cannot be replaced, you do need to keep it protected.

Turn and Burn .... F-15 trying to lose an F-22
[Aviation Week Award Winning Photo 2011]

MM

Attachments

• RdrsChc_Defense.jpg
    RdrsChc_Defense.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 139
Funny stuff Michael. Don't want to get political, but in the affairs of military matters, the current government is sorely lacking. Do you know of any articles, anywhere, that I can read on who really cares most about what jet is procured...the pilots. I really would have thought the would have had some sort of say on what they would like to be sitting in at 0200 over Tuktoyaktuk.

Geo

Funny stuff Michael. Don't want to get political, but in the affairs of military matters, the current government is sorely lacking. Do you know of any articles, anywhere, that I can read on who really cares most about what jet is procured...the pilots. I really would have thought the would have had some sort of say on what they would like to be sitting in at 0200 over Tuktoyaktuk.

Geo
many articles here , check previous issues as well
Canadian Military Journal Vol. 12, No. 2

".... many articles here , check previous issues as well".

Thanks pb. Previous research you have provided on the disconnect between RCAF 'requests' and actual Federal Government 'purchases' and 'license-builds' .... and, in Canada, with the heart of the aviation industry located in MONTREAL, QUEBEC the build issue is always compounded and conflicted by BUILDS . [You cited as an example of this disconnect the 1939 RCAF request for P-39's and B-26's as an identified requirement (and license build) ... and the government's response with Lancs, Hurricanes and Mossies acquired and built] This was news to me and very thought provoking. As a Canadian I ask a Canadian: what if the Avro Arrow program had been located in Montreal, Quebec and not Anglo Toronto, Ontario ...? Had that been the political reality, could Diefenbaker have cancelled the program? :)

Fubar57 as one (former) Cat-Scraper (635) operator to another .:) .... You say: "the current government is sorely lacking" .... I reply: "... they have NOT had to pay $500 million to get out of a helicopter contract, they didn't buy/trade for a bunch of ill-maintained de-commissioned RN diesel subs, and, they didn't originally commit Canada to the F-35 program in the first place. The (now) third party in Canada did all those things to the military during their many years in office, n'est-ce pas?

In a democracy, EVERY advanced AC has 'political' problems ** - either costs or deaths or both - the Prime Minister of Canada is playing the cards he was dealt very skillfully IMHCO. :)

F-35 Fan

MM

** Speaking of which, sad to hear that the Marines have lost another Osprey

Last edited:
I believe the Subs were picked up in trade for use of facilities Goose Bay for lo level training and Suffield Alta for training of the pongoes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back