Top 5 today's military jet's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From what I understand does not the Super Hornet's radar APG-79 outclass the radar in the F-16? That is extremely important, especially if you are thinking of air to air engagements. Also, it is a carrier based plane - much more flexible than ground based. Plus it's ability to also carry out a wide array of missions, just like the other A/C mentioned. Some points to think about, especially since the Super Hornet isn't getting any of the love I think it does deserve.

I think the Super Hornet is a great aircraft and very versatile but when compared to other aircraft such as the F-15, Mig-29, Su-27, F-16 and Typhoon and F-22 she does not quite reach there level of versatility or maneuverability or performance.

The F-15 is just a given.
The Mig-29 will out perform and maneuver.
The Su-27 is a given like the F-15.
The F-16 has had more of an impact, better performes and is just as versatile.
The Typhoon will out perform and outmaneuver and has great avionix package and radar package.
The F-22 well do I need to go there...

Well I'm going against the grain and saying that F/A-18E/F is a better asset than the 16. I'm not a tech guru but appears the radar package is better, it is still a versatile A/C, plus IT OPERATES FROM CARRIERS! It doesn't need Air Force special ops to seize an airfield in a hostile country in order to operate, be refueled 63 times enroute, or rely upon a friendly neighbor to supply a forward air base. Big advantage there the air force can't touch. Isn't the Fulcrums avionics considerably obselete as well? Being a little more maneuverable is not as big of an advantage when you can be engaged by enemy radar outside of your radar's zone.

Perhaps. However, UK is scrambling for that added flexibility that will not arrive until later marks. Certainly the Typhoon is a quite capable aircraft. Let's face it. In today's world, if the aircraft is not multirole, development has to rely solely upon domestic market...and we all know that cannot be accomplished. Even the US is struggling with F-22 procurement for exactly that reason. I don't give a rats about any airframe being perhaps the best air superiority fighter, if you can't buy them in sufficient quantities. Multirole allows for increased flexibility, better matches current operational scenarios and is easier to market internationally. All that means lower recurring costs and ability to keep the technical expertise in country.

And don't kid yourself that stealth is the only difference between F-22 and Typhoon. C3I management and information exchange are probably the most lethal weapon the F-22 possesses. And you won't read about those capabilities for obvious reasons.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back