Top Ten Twin-Engine Fighters of World War II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you might enjoy this top 10 of twin-engined aircraft: Top Ten Twin-Engine Fighters of World War II

Welcome. Ahh, Hushkit! I do enjoy that site, the guys who run it do a marvellous job. It's worth noting that in most of their top ten lists they highlight that such collections are highly subjective and lists between individuals will show discrepancies.

I didn't realize there were actually ten useful twin-engined fighters in the entire war.
The night war in Europe was mainly about twin engined fighters. Bf 110, Ju 88 Beaufighter and Mosquito. Pretty much the same in the maritime war in the North Sea and bay of Biscay, single engined types were useless, so the twins were useful.

The night war in Europe was mainly about twin engined fighters. Bf 110, Ju 88 Beaufighter and Mosquito. Pretty much the same in the maritime war in the North Sea and bay of Biscay, single engined types were useless, so the twins were useful.

Oh, I knew there were some, but ten? I was thinking four or five twin fighters worth mentioning.

You could look at it the other way, what single engined fighter was worth a dime at night or over the bay of Biscay and werent the two fastest fighters of WW2 the Me 262 and the Meteor?

Fustest with the mostest. Bay of Biscay wasn't decisive, and both jets were too late to change things.

The listing was focused on twin-engined fighters.

While the Ju88 wore many hats, it wasn't a "fighter" any more than the B-25J was.
It did perform well in the night-fighter role, but not in a daytime environment where types like the P-38, Whirlwind and even Beaufighter would be operating.
Concur. Similarly, the Mosquito was not designed to be a fighter. If the list only included "purpose-built" fighters, it would only have half as many shown, with the P-38 at or near the top of the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back