Top Ten Twin-Engine Fighters of World War II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The listing was focused on twin-engined fighters.

While the Ju88 wore many hats, it wasn't a "fighter" any more than the B-25J was.
It did perform well in the night-fighter role, but not in a daytime environment where types like the P-38, Whirlwind and even Beaufighter would be operating.
The long range conflicts early in the war were mainly with twin and four engined types, the Beaufighter was introduced in Malta and the bay of Biscay to counter the Ju88 and Condor and protect Sunderlands. Not really dog fighting but it was important.

Hello aircraft enthusiasts,

well being new at a forum it might not be advisable to get straight into a controversial thread:)
However I am a bit surprised to see a Bf 110 ranking as No. 5 since it was more or less outclassed by "puristic" single engine fighters from the very beginning.
As such being relegated to night-fighter tasks were due to a lack of a far more suitable Luftwaffe aircraft it "automatically" performed reasonably well.
The same thoughts would apply towards a Mosquito - a great raider and night-fighter, but fighter aircraft as such?

Well just my thoughts- that all

Regards to all
Jagdflieger

Hello aircraft enthusiasts,

well being new at a forum it might not be advisable to get straight into a controversial thread:)
However I am a bit surprised to see a Bf 110 ranking as No. 5 since it was more or less outclassed by "puristic" single engine fighters from the very beginning.
As such being relegated to night-fighter tasks were due to a lack of a far more suitable Luftwaffe aircraft it "automatically" performed reasonably well.
The same thoughts would apply towards a Mosquito - a great raider and night-fighter, but fighter aircraft as such?

Well just my thoughts- that all

Regards to all
Jagdflieger
In the beginning Germany took Poland Norway Netherlands Denmark Belgium and France with the Bf 110 as its main long distance heavy fighter.

In the beginning Germany took Poland Norway Netherlands Denmark Belgium and France with the Bf 110 as its main long distance heavy fighter.
Hi there pbehn,

yes it did take part - no doubt. But statistically in regards to aerial victories AFAIK it was nowhere near the Bf 109 - even accordingly taking a numerical breakdown into the equation
Due to the Blitzkrieg occurrence the vast majority of Germany's opposing air-forces were being taken care of on the ground by Ju 87's and He 111's.
What data would you have for the Bf 110 in comparison to the Bf 109 - me leaving aside that this thread is about 2 engine fighter-aircraft's. :)

Regards
Jagdflieger

Okay - then where would you place a Me 210, Me 410 and a Do 335?

Regards
Jagdflieger

Was the Me 210 really thaaat bad? couldn't have under-performed a Bf 110 or did it?

Regards
Jagdflieger
Yes, the Me210 was really that bad.

It was unstable in level flight and had a tendency to enter unrecoverable stalls if climbing too sharply or banking too hard.

Many attempts were made to correct the problem, including a new tail structure and lengthening the fuselage.

With several modifications, the Me210C was suitable enough and the Hungarian Air Force had good success with it.

The Me410 was a far superior aircraft as a result of all the changes (and time) needed to make the Me210 work well enough for Luftwaffe service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back