Trackie Snaps

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for that, Eric and Gnomey. It's worth knowing as I'm looking to buy a digital SLR. Interesting to hear about the effect on focus, could it be the 'Autofocus' trying to focus on the filter element first? If so, I hope I can get a manual overide, as I'll need to use 80A or 80B filters quite a lot for artificial light work.
BTW Lee, I think that Corporal must have eaten all the Hershy Bars!
Good first attempt, I like the 'mood' of the monochrome with the spot colour.
Terry.

I picked up my Nikon D200 body for £500 Terry as they are out of date now and showing there age compared to the later models. Pity I didnt know a few months ago you were on the hunt I got rid of my Nikon D50 for £180 with 18-55mm Nikon and Tamaron 70 - 300mm lenses it was an entry level dslr camera but really good value even when new, lenses were a bit soft and the Tamaron autofocus was noisy though both were still capable lenses .

These 2 shots were taken on my D50 the first is with a 50-500mm Sigma and the second with the Tamaron at 300mm
Neither has been tampered with in Pshop just cropped and resized in MS office picture manager you can see a bit of dirt on the lens (first shot infront of the tail fin) which normally I would clone out and pump the colours a tad.

Attachments

• d50..JPG
    d50..JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 70
  • d50...JPG
    d50...JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 76
Very nice, Lee! Yup, had I known, that would have done me, as I'm restricted with what I do these days; I just want the convenience of digital, with the flexibility and latitude of SLR. I'm trying to keep to a budget, but I've looked at the Nikon D60 and the Sony Alpha300. Nothing wrong with the Nikon, but I found it a bit 'clumpy', both in handling, and the lens etc. It's more me with this stupid arthritis than the camera. Jessops have a good package deal with the Sony, with a 18 - 70mm and a 50 - 200mm, plus flashcard, at £429. The camera itself has built in 1.4 and 2x converter, but the big bonus, for my needs, is the tiltable LCD screen, easy lens, and macro on the 200mm. It's a 10.2 Mp, which is more than enough for me. Only thing is, I'll have to raise some cash first, so I might actually sell my original Olympus OM1 bodies and lenses, which I've had since new, in 1982!
If you know anyone who might want these well respected classics, I'm open to realistic offers!!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Terry, but film cameras are really tough to sell these days and most folks want digitals. I have a pile of old film gear here that I couldn't get rid of for pennies on the dollar, sadly. Keep an eye out for used DSLRs. You can find good ones at good prices.

Buying the D200 was a sharp decision, Lee. I wish I had gotten that instead of the D80. Not that there is anything terribly wrong with the D80, but the metering on it is a temperamental pain. I have gotten used to it and know how to make it work for me now, but I think the D200 would have been better. Getting the D200 as the D300 was coming out definitely helped drive the 200 pricing down and it's still a great camera.

I am a bit surprised that you ditched the D50 though. I still use mine quite a bit and keep the 18-200 on it at shows to shoot statics and short taxi shots. That way, I don't have to switch lenses on the tarmac with all the dust blowing around. I have taken over 50,000 shots with the D50 and it still keeps going. It's been a solid performer since the first shot.

Thanks Eric, I know what you mean about film cameras. There are some in the UK who will buy the Olympus, more as a 'collectible' I suspect, but I don't expect to get a good offer! Just as well really, as I don't really want to part with them, they still have some uses.
Terry.

I am a bit surprised that you ditched the D50 though. .

Unfortunately Eric it was money driven, I wanted to get the Nikon 18-200VR lens for the D200 and my funds didnt quite streach far enough as the cooker went on the blink so that set me back an unforseen £600.
I am sure you are right I would have done better waiting but hey ho and holding on to the D50 which is still a good reliable machine as you say would have made sense but I still have my Olympus C-770 which if you dont need speed of operation turns out good shots (see below for a recent snap, not bad for a 4meg camera ) taken at Wordsworths village of Grassmeer

Next purchase is to be a flash, all the write ups keep saying the little £99 Nikon SB400 Speedlight is a teriffic performer for the price
Ive just picked up a Camlink tripod (made just up the road from you Eric)
and it gives even Manfrotto a run for their money but cost a third as much.
I am planning a day out in November at Bovington tank museum so a flash and tripod will be vital and with 300 vehicles from early mk1 tank to a Challenger II I suspect I'll be using all my 20 gig's up:)

Attachments

• Grassmear.jpg
    Grassmear.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 57

Users who are viewing this thread