Trimotor Identity

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graeme

1st Sergeant
May 31, 2007
To me it looks like a model?
Perspex cutouts to represent the props spinning?
The port engine looks to be "solid" at the front?

Kinda like a poor model of a Junkers Ju-52?

Fake.jpg

It is very possible. It looks like the Ju-52 but there is a lack of quite charcteristic flaps and ailerons. Also I can't see the tail wheel. These parts of the kite should be seen well in the pic because of the angle the shot was taken with. I would say it could be a SM.81 Pipistrello or something like that. However I agree it looks like a model .

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-700-0256-38,_Russland-Nord,_Junkers_Ju_52.jpg

Last edited:
SM.79..? No it is not the plane. The bomber had the main landing gear retractable. Possible it could be the SM.73. As I have mentioned it above it could be the SM.81 Pipistell as well. However it seems the Pipistrello doesn't fit too because it had the rounded windows on the fuselage sides and two struts for the vertical stabilizer

SM.73..

SM-73.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. It does look to me like a wartime recognition Ju-52 model as Terry mentioned.

Now, why do ya think they "stuck" it to a photo taken at Debert, Nova Scotia, in 1942??

The big picture.jpg

Ok, I see that now, however in looking at post #1 it appears that the wheels are angled inwards as if they are beginning to retract.
What do you guys think?

The undercart has spats over the wheels, and is definitely the same configuration as an early, or civilian, Ju52/3m.
Having now seen the full photo, I'm fairly sure it's either a recognition model, or a poor, and poorly retouched image of a real one, which, for whatever reason, has been montaged into the main image.

It is a recognition model. I have many original German photos showing the same cheesy models that they used for training. As to why it was added to that photo, who knows?

I don't think so, it more closely resembles a Ju-52/3M, and if it is a recognition model, and I'm fairly sure it is, then it will have been made from solid wood, carved to the approximate but relatively accurate shape, and be finished in overall black paint, or perhaps varnished wood (normally overall black on recce models).
The 'windows' might have been included, as painted rectangles, but it's more likely they were added to the photographic image.
It's very typical of WW2 recognition models, used by most air forces, but whether it is of German or Allied origin is difficult to tell.

Yep.. also the landing gear is different because the Wibault 280 didn't have such spats. Additionally the tips of the horizontal stabilizer and rudder had different shape. What is more the Wibault 280 had there small "fins" attached at the top of the stabilizers.These would be seen clearly in the pic of the model. The next difference are the windows on the fuselage sites. The Wibault 280 had them with the rounded front and back rectangle sides. So the windows are of the different shape. And the mast above the cockpit at the front area of the cockpit roof.

If you google Wibault 280 images you can see that there are a whole series of spats, trousers etc. Also the fin profile varies a lot, with and without extra fins on the stabilisers.

But, I still think that nose profile is very distinctive.

If you want weird trimotors 1930's France is the place to look - Couzinet 20 , Dewoitine 338 etc.

If you google Wibault 280 images you can see that there are a whole series of spats, trousers etc. .

What do you think I have done firstly? However I could have omitted the image that showed the Wibault 280 with the same kind of spats for the landing gear the kite in the first post had . Would you be so kind and post the picture here?

... But, I still think that nose profile is very distinctive.

The nose of the model seems to be shorter and more squat while the Wibault 280/283 had it longer and more streamlined. I would say it looks more like the Ju-52 nose though. Also the windows aren't square but rectangular with rounded sides for the Wibault kites.. But the Ju-52 had them just of the rectangular ( square ) shape like the model has.

model.jpg

194b.jpg

wibault.283.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back