Typhoon MK.1B 439 RCAF Squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not good taste, just high hopes.

Re the dislike, I'm sure it was a mistake. It's a new feature that was added not long ago but Sergio is a decent sort so I wouldn't worry.

I heard from Destrozas,

As I suspected he said it was a mistake. He did not mean to do that. He said is going to contact the moderator and try and change it.

Wurger,

From what I gather the Typhoon used short tail and long tail bombs. The Hasegawa kit car door typhoon has the long tail bombs the Tamiya kit has the short tail bombs. So both could be used it sounds like.
David.

Andy, that's downright unfair!
I happen to know that Kate never said that, and she promised me she would never even mention a Wil .... one of those things! (but I had to promise to 'be nice' to her .....)
David, as far as I know, RP's were not usually used on the car door Typhoon, for the reasons you mentioned. There could, of course, have been exceptions, though I haven't seen any evidence of service use with RP's on the earlier Typhoon.
If you'd like the bombs/pylons from my Hasegawa kit, send me a PM with your address details, and I'll get it sorted. Having checked the Revell/Monogram RP's, I think i can enhance them well enough for my needs, maybe add better rockets to the kit rails, so I don't need to do a swap for your parts.

Wurger,

From what I gather the Typhoon used short tail and long tail bombs. The Hasegawa kit car door typhoon has the long tail bombs the Tamiya kit has the short tail bombs. So both could be used it sounds like.
David.

OK. I understood that. However. If you have both these long and short tail bombs I can't grasp what the problem with them you have there.

Andy, that's downright unfair!
I happen to know that Kate never said that, and she promised me she would never even mention a Wil .... one of those things! (but I had to promise to 'be nice' to her .....)
David, as far as I know, RP's were not usually used on the car door Typhoon, for the reasons you mentioned. There could, of course, have been exceptions, though I haven't seen any evidence of service use with RP's on the earlier Typhoon.
If you'd like the bombs/pylons from my Hasegawa kit, send me a PM with your address details, and I'll get it sorted. Having checked the Revell/Monogram RP's, I think i can enhance them well enough for my needs, maybe add better rockets to the kit rails, so I don't need to do a swap for your parts.

Thanks Terry I will send you a PM.
Dave.

Oh.. so it means that it's a matter of pylons. Terry's drawing posted on previous page shows the pylon. Which pylon of these two is correct?

And here what I found via the net..

Typhoon 250lb bomb.jpg

Typhoon 500lb bomb.jpg

Typhoon Ib 250lb bomb.jpg

Typhoon Ib 1000lb bomb.jpg

Anf here a couple of pictures these bomb racks can be seem. The first shot shows the attaching points for the underwing bomb rack. I hope these can be useful.

Typhoon bomb rack.jpg

Typhoon bomb rack1.jpg

Typhoon bomb rack2.jpg

Typhoon bomb rack3.jpg

Typhoon bomb rack4.jpg

Here is the better scan of the pic... it's a 520lb cluster bomb .. the caption says...

"Armourers attach the nose and tail units onto a cluster projectile containing 26 x 20-lb anti-personnel bombs, fitted under the wing of a Hawker Typhoon Mark IB of No. 439 Squadron RCAF at B78/Eindhoven, Holland."

large.jpg

Oh.. so it means that it's a matter of pylons. Terry's drawing posted on previous page shows the pylon. Which pylon of these two is correct?

Wurger,

Terry's post shows what are to be Typhoon pylons however from the great pictures you have posted and my research they differed from the Mosquito pylons noticeably.

Take a look.

Typhoon pylon:
Rounded frontal configuration as well as being slim and long.
large.jpg

Mosquito Pylon has a more of 90 degree square front end. It also has an indented slot along the front portion.
6407470955_bb39bacd7e.jpg

Last edited:
I went through all books about the Hawker Typhoon IB ( early and late ) and didn't find a picture with a Mosquito pylon attached. All images show the one I posted above. The only difference are pylons used for underwing fuel tanks. However the 90 gallons drop fuel tank could be attached with the same bomb rack like the drawing below shows.

1b8799b52c0720726107f36d9cb8fdd9caee20a6.jpg

Typhoon drop tank.jpg

OK. Tu sum up.. I understand that you have two kits of the Typhoon. One is the Hasegawa car door one with correct pylons and bombs and the Hasegawa boobletop Typhoon without pylons and bombs. Am I right?

By the way... could you post a couple of pics of these Typhoon pylons you have, please? If there are other pieces for their assembling , please post too.

Just to clarify; I mentioned that the Mosquito pylons were similar - not the same. The Mosquito kit pylons could be adapted, by reducing the height, rounding off the 'nose', and tapering the rear, a fairly easy job to complete. For my 1/32nd scale Mosquito FB.VI conversion, I will be doing the opposite with the old Revell Typhoon pylons, by increasing the height, and altering the nose profile slightly.

I have thought exactly the same Terry. And therefore I couldn't understand what was going on with these bombs and pylons. Your answer was clear for me. But I guess our Mate Totalize needs some of help with making of these pylons. Therefore I consider moving of the thread to the modelling section Building Questions, Tutorials and Guidebooks. It seems to be more relevant area for a such post. But let's see what Totalize can say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back