Typhoon MK.1B 439 RCAF Squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Basically the same 500lb bomb, but normally with the shorter fins and tail cone, as carried in the bomb bay of the Mosquito. I'd need to check, but I believe the bombs carried on Mosquito wing pylons were the same, i.e. short tail also. Would be logical to utilise the same type throughout.

Pictures I have of the Canadian squadron Tiffies show mostly the short tailed 500 pounders like the one below but a few have the long fins too.

Pulverizer 800pixels.jpg

Yep, that's what I've found also. A (very) quick look at a photo of my scale plans, seems to show the bomb rack/pylon to be very similar to that used on the Mosquito. Unfortunately, I can't check the actual plans against the parts, as I can't get to them at the moment - they're buried under half a filing cabinet, eleventeen boxes, and a load of other stuff piled up as I still re-organise my house!
But, if it's any consolation, some months back, I put aside the Revell 1/32nd scale Typhoon bombs and pylons for use on my Mosquito FB.VI conversion, so I must have been happy to use them!
Below is a section of the plans, showing the racks, and the various bombs, and note the short and long tail versions.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Typhoon bomb rack plan.jpg
    Typhoon bomb rack plan.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 144
CR, Wurger and Terry,

Thanks a bunch for information and research on my question about bombs. Looks like I can use the Mosquito bombs and use the rockets in place of them when I build the Mosquito. Nice views of the short tailed/long tail bombs you guys provided.

Now, I just got word from Hobby Easy that they are out of stock on the EX090 Mask for the Bubble Canopy. I guess I could mask it myself but I did that on my last build and want to try out the mask option for the first time. I am hunting around for a set but at $4 for the masks and $8 or $9 to ship it is a big deterrent right now. Any ideas where I could get a set with a relatively decent shipping charge?

Dave.

I am fairly new to this site but I just got a notification that a guy by the name of destrozas doesn't like my post on this subject. I have never had that before on any of the sites to which I am a member. Is this a fairly common thing here?

Nope. If you want to know why he did it you have to ask him using Private Message system here. However it might have been a mistake made by him accidentally because the Like this post and Dislike this post options are next to each other. Which post does he dislike?

Dave, I've just had a quick look at my kits, and the parts included. I have the Hasegawa 'car door' kit, which I'll be building as an early 56 Sqn aircraft, without bombs or pylons, and the Revell 'bubbletop', which I'll more than likely do as a 2 TAF, RP armed kite.
The 'car door' kit has the pylons and bombs, and the Revell has fairly basic RP's, which could be enhanced with a bit of work. I haven't fully decided on RP's or bombs for the Revell kit, but, if I go for RP's, then the Hasegawa bombs/pylons will be spare.
Does your kit have unwanted RP's, better than the Revell?
If so, and you want to do a swap, then my bombs are yours.
If not, then send Kate Beckinsale with a pleading note, a bottle of 'T-Stoff', and 2 pounds of bacon, and the bombs/pylons are yours !!

Nope. If you want to know why he did it you have to ask him using Private Message system here. However it might have been a mistake made by him accidentally because the Like this post and Dislike this post options are next to each other. Which post does he dislike?

Wurger,

My question was a general one. but to specifically ask why I will send this person a message. It looks rather strange because I got the message earlier today but the dislike was on the first page of my postings which was a long long time ago.

Dave, I've just had a quick look at my kits, and the parts included. I have the Hasegawa 'car door' kit, which I'll be building as an early 56 Sqn aircraft, without bombs or pylons, and the Revell 'bubbletop', which I'll more than likely do as a 2 TAF, RP armed kite.
The 'car door' kit has the pylons and bombs, and the Revell has fairly basic RP's, which could be enhanced with a bit of work. I haven't fully decided on RP's or bombs for the Revell kit, but, if I go for RP's, then the Hasegawa bombs/pylons will be spare.
Does your kit have unwanted RP's, better than the Revell?
If so, and you want to do a swap, then my bombs are yours.
If not, then send Kate Beckinsale with a pleading note, a bottle of 'T-Stoff', and 2 pounds of bacon, and the bombs/pylons are yours !!

Hi Terry,

So, I have the Hasegawa Car Door Typhoon as well and as mentioned the Tamiya Mossie kit too. Thus I was thinking I now have a few options here.
1. Swap the bombs on the Car Door Version for the Rockets on the Bubble Top kit and do an RAF squadron Car Door Typhoon with rockets.
2. With the information you have provided swap the bombs from the Mossie kit for the rockets on the Hasegawa kit and do an RP Based Mossie.
3. Send you the Rockets from the Hasegawa kit in exchange for the Hassie bombs and do another RCAF Typhoon but a car door version.

Now, I don't have a lot of Typhoon references (ie. 3 books in pdf format) but in some of these books there are pictures of Car Door Typhoons with Rockets but if I recall they were planes lent out by the various squadrons for testing the viability of using rockets. Also, it seems that by the time the rockets were approved for general deployment just about all the Car Door Typhoons had been replaced by the all round vision typhoons??? I could be wrong here and may indeed be wrong as I seem to recall seeing a picture of a Car Door Typhoon still operational in early 1945.

Anyway, Let me know what you suggest I do?

Send Kate Beckinsale? Man you have good taste.

Dave.

Last edited:
Not good taste, just high hopes.

Re the dislike, I'm sure it was a mistake. It's a new feature that was added not long ago but Sergio is a decent sort so I wouldn't worry.

Wurger,

My question was a general one. but to specifically ask why I will send this person a message. It looks rather strange because I got the message earlier today but the dislike was on the first page of my postings which was a long long time ago.

I see. I don't think there is any problem. Our forum has been moved to another server recently. Also it was upgraded and this could have been the reason you got the message just now although it was sent long time ago. Judging by the date of sending it was the period of time the board was down and the database damaged by spammer's attack. Now almost all is restored and working properly so the forum system sent all overdue messages with the delay.

But now I have aquestion.. sorry but still can't grasp what is going on with these bombs. Would you be so kind and explain me ,not a native , what the problem is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back