U-Boats....and weathering?

As log as it is not yellow....
 
Many thanks for your replies gentlemen, appreciated as always!
Thought that I try a u-boat at some point, somewhat smaller than the 1/144 destroyer that I've got and the other two ships! :lol:
Got a couple in mind (all to do with 13, obviously), they operated in different water from each other, Caribbean, Mediterranean and the Atlantic, i imagine that it could, the u-boat, weather differently depending on where it sailed as well, or?
 
At the beginning you may try to make the U-13 ( IIb type )

U-13_TypeIIB.jpg


U-13_2.jpg


U13_1.jpg



And for the record ...

U-10.jpg
 
With of course the appropriate model...

101572-10000-pristine.jpg
 
I once saw a convincingly weathered model U-Boat at a Model Engineers Exhibition. I asked the maker how he had done the rust streaks. He said he had sprinkled iron filings on the paint before it was dry. Once they were set he sprinkled salt on them and sprayed them with water. The effect was amazing.
 
The way sounds interesting. However much easier would be to apply small dots of the rusty colour and then smudge them with Q-tips or fine brush soaked with some thinner. The trick is that the rusty colour can't be of the same type the background one just because of the thinner that could damage it.
 
The important thing about rust is it isn't a single colour because it isn't a single oxide. The longer it is left to rust the darker various areas are.
 
Also true.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back