U-Boats....and weathering?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
How do you best weather a u-boat?
The reason I'm asking, is that I saw one, which I thought had too much rust....is that even possible?
u-boot_07.790x527.jpg

I quite like this one....

My uncle was a sailor and services on an U-boot at the end of the WW2. According to his memories many ships returning from long patrolling usually looked like scrap metal. These were rusted with bended parts of bulwarks. The plates of a ship skin were squeezed often at many areas with the paint peeling off .. So the one in the pic above looks not too bad though.

Last edited:
And bear in mind that surface coatings in the 1940s were nowhere near as advanced as they are today.
I remember as a child in the 1950s, looking at ships on the River Tyne, and seeing great rust streaks on their hulls, and below portholes etc. Some of these were relatively new vessels, that is, built post war, whilst others, presumably pre-war types, looked like floating rust buckets !
There were also three or four German U-boats in a breaker's yard, which were totally rust coloured, but of course, they'd been there quite a few years by then - this was probably around 1958 to 1960.

I agree Bill. The work you did would have been terrifying enough for any young man, even if we do all think we're invincible when aged 19 or 22, but to be in a steel tube, closed up, under water, with no visual outlook or spacial orientation, battling nature, dirty air, battery fumes etc, and the effects of depth charge attack, must have taken one of two things - sheer guts, or total lunacy !

I agree Bill. The work you did would have been terrifying enough for any young man, even if we do all think we're invincible when aged 19 or 22, but to be in a steel tube, closed up, under water, with no visual outlook or spacial orientation, battling nature, dirty air, battery fumes etc, and the effects of depth charge attack, must have taken one of two things - sheer guts, or total lunacy !
Lunacy according to my mother in law, as a steel worker he was in a reserved occupation and he wasn't particularly young at 28.

Both air and sub received an extra $75 monthly hazardous duty pay. It was sheer guts for the sub crew member.

Well I'm hoping it will be warm and sunny then !
OK, maybe that's a bit over optimistic - perhaps warmer rain then ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back