unknown motor (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Knut

Recruit
Jan 21, 2017
Salzburg
Hello!

Is this motor from an aircraft? A motor for a hyrdaulic pump? It belonged to a friend of mine who passed away last year (he was born in 1936). He once told me story from his childhood in 1945. After the war ended here in Austria he and a few other boys played in downed aircraft (possibly a bomber). One of the older boys then removed a motor from this aircaft.

28088064mp.jpg

28088065gk.jpg

28088066nt.jpg

28088067jq.jpg

28088068az.jpg

28088069tz.jpg

Knut

I am 99% sure it is an amplidyne unit from an American electric gun turret - the short shaft drove the cooling fan.

For amplidyne history see Amplidyne - Wikipedia

Somewhere on this forum there is a 1946 US Navy training manual for Aircraft gun turrets and that will have lots of photos of amplidynes fitted to various turrets

Regards

Mi

Last edited:
The B-17 Bendix turret manual attached has an example of what you are looking for on page 34 and the maintenance instructions for that component.

The Navy manual has a lot more information and shows the units in many other turrets from memory

Mi

Attachments

• Bendix chin turret Operation.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 84
Well done mate! Thought it might possibly be a power turret drive motor myself, so I wasn't too far off ☺

Great score Knut!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back