unknown puzzle again

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think it's a Tupolev of some sort perhaps the SB

012_b.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry but I'm afraid it isn't any of SB bombers. The fuselage is of different shape in cross section.

Mystery solved, it is German, afterall! :lol:

It is a Henschel Hs124 bomber prototype that was proposed in 1934 to the RLM request for a KampfZerstorer. It competed against the Fw57 and the Ju85/88.

The Hs124 V1 looked alot like the Martin 166 (B-10) and was one of the few German bombers with a nose turret. Our mystery Hs124 is the V2 with BMW 132 radials and a redesigned maingear.

Hs124 V1 WkNmr 0268 and V4 WkNmr unk had a nose turret, streamlined cockpit and watercooled V engines. Our specimen, V2 WkNmr 0269, had a "greenhouse" cockpit, stubbed nose and radial engines and a special bomb-release system under the fuselage.

Only V4 survived beyond 1938, being transferred to E-Stelle Travemunde in February 1939, the rest were scrapped.

Hs124 V2
IPN 714[720x540].jpg

Hs124-3view[720].gif

For comparison, Hs124 V1
IPN 715[720x540].jpg

Last edited:
Great. Congrats Dave. :thumbright:

To be honest I have been thinking about a German plane because of tyres that look just like the German ones used during WW2.

Outstanding result Dave! Hadn't looked in that direction! I had made alterations to my drawing and was going to post today, but no need now. Great work and excellent find, too, Snautzer. The kind of thing that makes this forum great.

Thanks guys...this was a heck of a challenge!

That was a great drawing, you had it nailed!

By the way, that wiki page is terrible. It has some drawing of the aircraft, barely any information and what info it has is largely incorrect.

My post describing what the mystery aircraft was has far more information (and photos)...

Just read the Aviastar page and it too, is coming up short on info, unfortunately.

yeah, a quick look in a Luftwaffe book of my own revealed far more info, but I didn't want to write it all down, so I took the lazy option. The wiki one shows the drawing I did is close to the original; the second drawing I did was closer, though. You can add to the Aviastar website, which is a bonus if you find inaccuracies, which you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back