Unknown Rudder (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking at a cut-away of a Mk IV Mossie, the ribs are off as well as the hinge location. The only 2 WWII aircraft I could find with roughly the shape of this with the hinge location were the Dewoitine D520 and the ME-321 - both which I doubt seriously.

I agree with colin, the lettering makes it look like a rudder.

With as damaged as it was, there is a possibility that a bottom section is missing.

Although the overall shape corresponds, it can't be from a Mosquito, as, apart from appearing to be too small, even if a section of the part, the Mosqutio had fabric-covered elevators and rudder, although the ailerons were aluminium.
The remains of the vertical writing do throw things off a bit, and it could be that this part was used as a signpost at some time, as suggested. Dave, the control surfaces on the J5 in your pic are also fabric covered, so that one's out too.
Given the approximate dimensions provided, and with the possibility that there is a section missing, I think it is more likely to be an elevator, or, if a rudder, from a relatively small aircraft.
The overall shape is, I admit, very much similar to a De Havilland style, but the metal covering again (probably) discounts that stable. I had thought perhaps the outboard section of a P47 elevator, but the right angled balance horn area is incorrect.

Hmmm good points Terry. I knew the Mossie's ailerons and flaps were aluminium, so wondered if later marks had metal elevators and rudders too...

I wonder if Graeme knows about this thread? Him and some of the guys are bloody good at identifying aircraft by component forms...

Although the overall shape corresponds, it can't be from a Mosquito, as, apart from appearing to be too small, even if a section of the part, the Mosqutio had fabric-covered elevators and rudder, although the ailerons were aluminium.
Sorry, I disagree.
Maybe I'm wrong but looking at pictures like this below I see a lot of rivets on elevators that make me think they have metallic covering...

ERS712-19.jpg

Also the shape of the wreck matches perfectly (IMHO) with the outer section of Mossie's elevator, being the inner section (where trim tab was) missing.

So, I'll vote for Mossie :D

Cheers

Last edited:
My apologies! You are quite right - although the rudder on the Mosquito is/was fabric covered, having posted my reply 'off the top of my head', I had forgotten that, like the ailerons, the elevators too were metal covered. I also agree that the shape matches and, allowing for the 'missing' section, the part could very well be from a Mosquito elevator. The shape of the 'fishplate' reinforcing near the outer tip matches perfectly, and I have done a little more digging since my earlier post, and find that the rivet pattern is also the same. Therefore, it most probably is a section of a Mosquito elevator.

Guys, thanks alot for your interest! So let's talk about a Mosquito vertical stabilizer. But where does it come from? Would you think it's possible to find out this? I've already started a request at 12oclockhigh-forum about Mosquito losses over the northern Adriatic during WW2 but no answer so far. Has anyone an idea where else I could learn more about this subject?

About the letters on the part I am sure about that it is not original. Someone painted it long time after the crash. Today it is displayed right next to a smal restaurant close to the shore of Unije. Could have been something like a pilots invitation because a small airfield is close as well.

Kurtl

Today it is displayed right next to a smal restaurant close to the shore of Unije. Could have been something like a pilots invitation because a small airfield is close as well
Would be my next port of call
if I was determined to find out what and where this came from - where did they get it from?

Good photo, Marcogrifo...that's the one...

I'm glad my hunches are still good ones, that just didn't look like a rudder at first glance. I'm just not well versed enough with British aircraft to have spotted the connection to the Mosquito, though.

But awesome job guys, that was a great bit of "sleuthing"!

Good photo, Marcogrifo...that's the one...

I'm glad my hunches are still good ones, that just didn't look like a rudder at first glance. I'm just not well versed enough with British aircraft to have spotted the connection to the Mosquito, though.

But awesome job guys, that was a great bit of "sleuthing"!
Thanks, I must confess I have followed others suggestion about Mossie, than the rest has come out easily.
As you said: awesome job guys :D

Cheers

Well guys, definitly a good job done here! Let's continue...
Of course I asked the owner of the restaurant and Mossy part. He told me that he got it from an Austrian diver who found it under water about 10 km offshore the westcoast of Unije. That was about 10 years in the past according his guess. Other people from Unije told me that they have seen it on that place since about 15 years. That's all so far, sorry.

The hint about the Jugoslav Air Force is just great! I did not thought about that. Thanks for this! NF stands for Night Fighter, FB for...? and T for Trainer?

Kurtl

Yep, T for Trainer, FB: Fighter/ Bomber.

Mosquitoes used for training were sometimes fitted with a second control column.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back