Unlikely victors or encounters.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I remember reading somewhere that at least one captured Allied aircraft was used to attack bomber formations. The anecdote was about a B-17 crew wondering why the P-38 was shooting at them.

I remember reading somewhere that at least one captured Allied aircraft was used to attack bomber formations. The anecdote was about a B-17 crew wondering why the P-38 was shooting at them.

It is none other than Martin Caidin who, in one of his more extreme flights of fancy, had a P-38, still in US national markings, stalking stragglers to shoot them down, only eventually to be entrapped by a YB 40. The origins of Caidin's story, his "research", lies in a novel by Glenn Infield. A novel, a work of fiction!

Happily, despite Caidin's fancy, which has developed a life of its own in cyberspace, there is a foundation of truth to the story.

There was a P-38 captured and flown by the Italians. It had landed by mistake on Sardinia on 12th June 1943 after a navigational error by its ferry pilot. The US national markings were over painted in a dark olive colour (probably Verde Olivia Scuro) and white bands applied on the booms. White "sabaudian" crosses were applied to the fins. There are photos of this aircraft online.

August 11, 1943 Col. Angelo Tondi (not Caidin's Guido Rossi, who may have been a character in the novel for all I know) shot down a B-17F serial 42-30307 of 419th BS, 301st BG of the Italian coast in this aircraft. This was the only success for this aircraft and it was the only P-38 the Italians flew against the USAAF.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Would he have been awarded a medal if he had killed the occupants of the C-47? There was a very good chance that he might have. I'd hate to explain that to the widows.
Cheers
Steve

Lt. rossi is said to have flown the captured P-38 against Allied aircraft but if I remember correctly, the P-38 was done in by the low quality fuel the Italians were using...
It is none other than Martin Caidin who, in one of his more extreme flights of fancy, had a P-38, still in US national markings, stalking stragglers to shoot them down, only eventually to be entrapped by a YB 40. The origins of Caidin's story, his "research", lies in a novel by Glenn Infield. A novel, a work of fiction!

Happily, despite Caidin's fancy, which has developed a life of its own in cyberspace, there is a foundation of truth to the story.

There was a P-38 captured and flown by the Italians. It had landed by mistake on Sardinia on 12th June 1943 after a navigational error by its ferry pilot. The US national markings were over painted in a dark olive colour (probably Verde Olivia Scuro) and white bands applied on the booms. White "sabaudian" crosses were applied to the fins. There are photos of this aircraft online.

August 11, 1943 Col. Angelo Tondi (not Caidin's Guido Rossi, who may have been a character in the novel for all I know) shot down a B-17F serial 42-30307 of 419th BS, 301st BG of the Italian coast in this aircraft. This was the only success for this aircraft and it was the only P-38 the Italians flew against the USAAF.

Cheers

Steve

Well said Steve and to further add on YB-40s were never in the MTO!!!!!

I wouldn't call this a victory but an unusual shoot down.

Hagen of the Hell Hawks lost his P-47 to spent .50 casings from the flight lead. He tried to fly the plane home and the engine failed due to the damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back