Unofficial Bf 109-x GB: 1/48 Bf 109 H-0

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mainly28s

Senior Airman
Jun 19, 2015
South-East UK
mainly28s.com
Username: Mainly28s
First name: Olaf
Category: Intermediate
Manufacturer: ICM
Model: Messerschmitt Bf 109 F-4Z, kit 48105
Scale: 1:48
Add-ons: Plastic card/odds & ends to make the wing extension and horizontal tail surface,
(possibly) a spare drop tank,
kit and stash decals.

PXL_20240117_114659448.jpg

Going by what I've read, the earliest version of the Messerschmitt 109 H was a modified Bf 109 F-4Z. The wingspan was extended by adding a constant-chord plug to the centre, and having extended/larger horizontal tail surfaces with struts to support them, much like the B-E versions.

Bf 109 H-0:

based on:Bf 109 F-4/Z
modifications:- wider wing span
- wider elevator
- elevator was supported by a struts again
- improved landing gear
purpose:high-altitude fighter (pre-production)
wing span:39,1 ft (11,92 m)
length:29 ft (8,85 m)
height:8 ft (2,59 m)
engine:Daimler-Benz DB 601 E (1350 PS)
armament:2 x 7,9 mm MG 17 (above the engine)
1 x MG 151/20 (firing through the spinner)

This is the plan I will be using:
Bf109H_3Seiten_neu.jpg

I plan to saw off the wings and insert an extension, much the same as the original. The radiators seem to have remained on the wings in their original positions, so won't require reworking. The horizontal tail surfaces will be made from plastic card. I will probably add a spare drop tank.

Ambitious project. The wing extension should be fun but why do you have to make the "horizontal tail surfaces" from plastic card? Unless you mean the struts.

Ambitious project. The wing extension should be fun but why do you have to make the "horizontal tail surfaces" from plastic card? Unless you mean the struts.
The horizontal tail surfaces are larger than the originals (red lines on the attached image), by about 15% of the width. Of course, as there are no struts in the kit, I'd need to make them anyway!
Bf 109 H Three-View with red tailplane.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff Olaf.

You've probably read all the same stuff I have on the 109H project.
I would agree with all your conclusions of what to modify (and what not to), with the possible exception of the drop tank: If what I've read is correct, the H-0 series (all F-4/Z conversions) were used for high speed dive trials, so (IMO) wouldn't have needed a drop tank...unless they were testing the detrimental effect of them on airspeed in a dive(?)

By the way, were you able to find any reference to possible H-0 colour schemes? I plan to make one myself at some stage (not for this GB - doing the H-1 (stufe 1a) for that)

Last edited:
Good stuff Olaf.

I would agree with all your conclusions of what to modify (and what not to), with the possible exception of the drop tank: If what I've read is correct, the H-0 series (all F-4/Z conversions) were used for high speed dive trials, so (IMO) wouldn't have needed a drop tank...unless they were testing the detrimental effect of them on airspeed in a dive(?)

By the way, were you able to find any reference to possible H-0 colour schemes? I plan to make one myself at some stage (not for this GB - doing the H-1 (stufe 1a) for that)
I think you're right- I probably have all the same references as you do. The drop tank is only a "possibly", as I'm still digging for more references, especially colour schemes. Unfortunately I don't have any definitive colour schemes yet, so will probably end up with a speculative one, based on the alleged "in use" Geschwader's other aircraft.

Well, first steps.

Since I have no plans to install the engine, I've glued the various cowling bits together, assembled the cockpit, and sawed the centre panel off.
I will be completing the fuselage and bits next, then re-scaling the plan so I can begin making the rear horizontal control surfaces. I just need to find a decent drawing of the underside so I can get some sort of plausible panel line layout for the new centre panel.
PXL_20240123_152510895.jpg

I'm quite surprised at the amount of flash on the bits, but it IS a lovely little kit.
Good stuff Olaf.

I don't suppose you have one? Or, at least, a plausible one?

Good stuff mate.

The best plans I could find on the net for the H-0 were the ones you have already posted, misnamed as the Bf 109H-1 on the Wiki site:
messerschmitt_bf_109h_1-78729.jpg

Source: Messerschmitt Bf 109 variants - Wikipedia
#/media/File%3AMesserschmitt_Bf_109_H-1_3-seiten_neu.jpg

I will get back to you on colour schemes, want to recheck some info before saying anything.

Need to correct an earlier post Olaf. When I wrote about the dive trials, I had a feeling something wasn't right, so checked sources again.
The H-0 was an interim version to 'investigate the problems of flight at high altitude and equipment modifications' (so may well have been tested with a drop tank?).
It was the interim version of the H-1(based on the Bf 109G-5) that was used for military trials, including the high speed dives, one of which resulted in a wing and part of the fuselage being ripped off! :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back