Unofficial Bf 109-x GB 1/72 Bf109G-6

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JonCOlsen

Airman 1st Class
Mar 14, 2015
Username: JonOlsen88
Name: Jon
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Kit: Tamiya Bf109g-6
Extras: seatbelts created from masking tape and underwing 20mm gunpods sourced from the Axademy kit

Hi everybody. I just found out about this unofficial group build and would love to participte! I realize I've had a little bit of a head start on this one, however, I am a slow builder, so I will probably be one of the last to finish!

As expected of Tamiya, it has been a joy to build. I'll be using decals from the Exito Decals sheet: Gustavs Over the Balkans. My choice of markings is "White 12," flown by Uffz. Anton Riemer of 7./JG 77.

I plan to spray paint it with Tamiya As-12 as a primer for Vallejo acrylics, which I will handbrush.

Thank you!

-Jon

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpeg
    IMG_0891.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0896.jpeg
    IMG_0896.jpeg
    897.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0893.jpeg
    IMG_0893.jpeg
    576.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0894.jpeg
    IMG_0894.jpeg
    864.4 KB · Views: 7
Username: JonOlsen88
Name: Jon
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Kit: Tamiya Bf109g-6
Extras: seatbelts created from masking tape and underwing 20mm gunpods sourced from the Axademy kit

Hi everybody. I just found out about this unofficial group build and would love to participte! I realize I've had a little bit of a head start on this one, however, I am a slow builder, so I will probably be one of the last to finish!

As expected of Tamiya, it has been a joy to build. I'll be using decals from the Exito Decals sheet: Gustavs Over the Balkans. My choice of markings is "White 12," flown by Uffz. Anton Riemer of 7./JG 77.

I plan to spray paint it with Tamiya As-12 as a primer for Vallejo acrylics, which I will handbrush.

Thank you!

-Jon
Welcome to the build Jon. With a 6 month GB window there is enough time for two, even for 'slow' builders.

I've made some progress on the build. Seatbelts were lengthened and gunsight attached. Langing gear pieces and a few other parts have been painted…the armored headrest appeara darker in the photo than in real life!

About the headrest, I've painted the framing completely RLM 66. However, the Tamiya instructions indicate that a portion of the upper part of the headrest should be painted a "buff" color. Is that correct?

Thank you!
-Jon

Attachments

• IMG_1019.png
    IMG_1019.png
    366.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1021.jpeg
    IMG_1021.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Here ... the dark colour was at the glass frame only.

View attachment 761445
the source: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8d/cc/87/8dcc87426f927cd8f65d3ce690321b5e.jpg

also ... Exito D72001 Decals Gustavs Over The Balkans - Messerschmitt Bf109G-6
View attachment 761446
View attachment 761447
the source: Captcha
Thank you very much for the excellent picture and profile, Wojtek. :) What do you think about the Tamiya instructions indicating that the top part of the framing should be painted XF-57 ("buff")?

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpeg
    IMG_1026.jpeg
    708.5 KB · Views: 4
Ah .. actually that's not the headrest but the armour plate with the glass in a frame. The armour plate with the bullet-proof glass is assiociated with the Erla Haube mostly, However I have seen the one mounted in the Finnish Bf 109G-6 with the early hood as well. In the particular case it seems to be a mistake. The enlarged pic of the Riemer's kite shows the standard armour plate with the curved forward top and the leather headrest and top head protection on it. So not the part should be used for your model.

g6-3.jpg

g6_1.jpg

g6-2.jpg

and indeed the part you asked above, seems to be of the ligh colour comparing to the rest of the frame and armour plate. I'm not sure if there was a leather protection of the pilot head. Anyway the Tamiya XF-57 can be.

erla_a.jpg

erla_b.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Wow! Thank you so much! I just looked in the box of my Academy 109g and found the correct headrest..I'll just need to trim it slightly. Thanfully, the Academy kit supplies both options! It's unfortunate that the Tamiya kit provides the bare minimum. Wojtek, you are amazing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back