Unorthodox Blohm und Voss Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flyboy2

Senior Airman
Mar 10, 2008
Las Vegas, Nevada
So I was just checking out the Luft '46 page on Blohm und Voss prototypes. Check it out at Blohm Voss Company Luft '46 Page
Now maybe I'm just not that smart, but I don't see why you would use an asymetric layout for an aircraft instead of using a pusher propeller. Especially the designs with a prop on one side and a jet on the other. Give me some feed pack.

Having a single engined a/c without the prop and engine limiting the view and armament of the cockpit/central nacelle/fusalage.

Maybe but that has problems too. Most importantly the ability of a pilot to bail out with the prop behinh him. (the usual fix was to make the prop jetisinable)

In WWI (a bit off topic) though this wouldn't have mettered as the pilot wasn't going to be bailing out (no parachute) and would have "engine armor" behind him, albeit none for head-on attacks. (which were less likely aniway) This was done to facilitae nose armaments without syncronisation or high wing mountings.

BV 141 actually got very good marks from the test pilots that flew it and probably encouraged B&V to explore further. I believe it was designed as a recon plane with a very good view.

iirc it was a competetor of the Fw 189 for that role. And the 189 had amazing visibility too. albeit with little protection, though decent armament and excelent evasive abilities.

Interesting little site about asymmetric aircraft:

ASYMMETRIC AIRCRAFT

Also, do a google search using the words "asymmetric aircraft" and you'll get some interesting results

Users who are viewing this thread

Back