Unusual Bf 109s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have a pic of a Me309 that doesn't seem to be very common:

Not sure when this happened, but must have been during it's testing stages and unfortunately, I've had this image for a while now, and don't remember any details about what's going on

I've always liked the top one Njaco. Wonder how the DB-engined Spitfire flew? Pilot report said fine, but it was a German, not a regular Spitfire pilot, who flew it.

Good Me 309 pic, Graugeist. I havn't seen that one before.

Bf109X had the BMW801 (and a cowl similar to a Fw190), the one pictured above, is the Bf109 V-21 fitted with a P&W Twin Wasp radial.

*Edit*
Now that I'm looking at that photo here on the computer, it may be the X, not the V-21, because I don't see the horizontal stabilizer braces that were on the V-21 airframe, but at the same time, I don't see the bulge in the lower portion of the cowling that was apparent on the X version.

Last edited:
The problem with alot of the prototypes, is that the photos are usually obscure or non-existant and in many cases, become confused with cross-posting over time.

Bf109 V-21 (WkNmr 1770) P&W Twin Wasp project was built in 1939 on a Bf109E airframe and later became a Bf109F-0 pre production test frame.

The Bf109X project was later, and is surrounded by information gaps. From what I understand, the RLM nixed the project because of the demand for the 801 for the Fw190 and Do17

Bf 109 V1 with a Rolls Royce Kestrel engine, which just looks wrong (upside down)

Bf 109 V13 ready for a world speed record attempt. It's specially prepared DB 601 engine had about double the horse power (1,660) of the V1 !

Cheers

Steve

Ever notice that V1 bears a resemblance to a P-40 with that radiator intake and cowl flaps?

I hadn't, but I can see what you mean.

The arrangement on the V1 was only ever an interim step towards the Jumo/DB installation of course.

Cheers

Steve

This pic was found on this site....

Anything But Wheels > Vintage Wings of Canada

with this caption:

From what I can see, the markings under the wing look like possible Finnish markings? Anybody have any info?

I also found this: Bf 109 with ski undercarriage - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

but this pic appears to be an Emil and not a friedrich.

Last edited:
also found this:

Limited experiments were performed early in the war with a Bf-109E-8 fitted with skis for winter operations, but the skis caused a performance penalty, and regular production Messerschmitts had no great troubles in using wheels under winter conditions. The idea went no further.

The Messerschmitt Bf-109

Users who are viewing this thread