Unusual P-40 Warhawk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
I found this picture here, Air Force Historical Research Agency

What I found unusual is the fuselage markings, anybody have any idea what the fuselage markings mean. I think the theator would be the pacific.

Attachments

• 00910460_060.jpg
    00910460_060.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 554
Thank you very much Jarda Rankl, boy was I looking in the wrong direction.
Thanks again.

The setting is USA, place is Orlando Florida, the units mission is advanced fighter combat using P-40's flown by combat veterans who experienced enemy contact first hand to mimic all known enemy tactics from all theaters. This was the original top gun, and one of it's more famous mounts. The Orlando school was broken off and formed from the air war college which was moved from Washington DC, the academic portion split and sent to Maxwell, were it continues today.

Fighter groups, mainly P-47's, would rotate in to Orlando and undergo operations against these guys as their last step in training before deploying overseas. One of the reasons why you'll read how well prepared the later arriving units were when they arrived as an entire group. Not thrown in together as parts and pieces unprepared like early in the war.

The squadron colors on the group leaders aircraft are not a new thing, or an old, it's a tradition from the earliest days of the air arm, and continues even today.

oh my lord, that is a scary looking paint scheme o.o huge friggin mouth.

Nah, that's not scary. This is scary at least in my eyes. A P-40 out of control with no respect to Axis or Allies. This one took a bite out of a P-51 mustang. :lol: From the Aircam series on the P-40

Attachments

• p.JPG
    p.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 434
CHOMP, CHOMP....BURP

my favorite

DBII

It is an interesting photo if you look at it closely. The metal is behind the propellor yet the prop is not bent. Im guessing a P-51 ran into it but some how missed the prop or the photo was staged.

Nah, that's not scary. This is scary at least in my eyes. A P-40 out of control with no respect to Axis or Allies. This one took a bite out of a P-51 mustang. :lol: From the Aircam series on the P-40

XD nah, that one ain't as scary as the first one. if the first one cam in my dreams....I'd have to buy new sheets. LOL

Well... I think with the number of P-40 painted like this...it should eat something one day or an other ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back