Unusual paint scheme on some Bf 109Gs of 13.(Slow)/JG 52

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Here are two profiles and two pictures of Messerschmitts Bf 109G-4 used by 13.(Slow)/JG 52 on Eastern front in 1943.

First profile is Bf 109G-4 "Yellow 6" drown by artist Vaclav Hochmuth and published in HTmodel Špecial No. 903

Second profile is of the same aircraft "Yellow 6" drown by Ing. Jozef And'al and published in HTmodel Špecial No. 912

Two photos I have posted as a reference; first is picture of "Yellow 6" and second of simillary painted "Yellow 11".

You may have noticed that profiles differ by the color of the "dots" on engine cowling. I know that various kinds of "dotting" of upper engine cowlings was feature of JG 52 airplanes at that time. This was probably due to overpainting of before all-yellow engine cowlings. Since 13.(Slow) Staffel (Letka 13) operated as part of JG 52 and Bf 109Gs were loaned to Slovak squadron from other Staffels of JG 52, it was to be expected that this kind of painting would appear on some Slovak Messerschmitts also.

Spots appear to be in some light color and I was always under impression that this would be some kind of gray (RLM 02 maybe) as depicted on first profile. But on second profile of the same aircraft artist for some reason had assumed that dots were actually yellow. This seems too strange to me.

Does someone has any information of other German fighters to be painted this way (with yellow spots on engine cowling)?

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 307
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 311
Hm, I now see that this thread maybe would be better suited for other section. So, if one of the moderators would be so kind....
Thanks!

I'm not sure those profiles are correct. I don't really see a change of color for the spots and the spinner has five colors including the backing plate which they seem to have missed. I think I just saw something similar in one of my books. I'll try to get it scanned and post.

Probably my original post is a little confusing. Please note that aircraft in the last picture isn't the same as on previous picture and on profiles. It isn't "Yellow 6" as on profiles and first picture but simillary painted "Yellow 11" and I have posted it just for a better look on the spots on engine cowling.

As for spinner, it's color is probably dark green as factory standard at the time. There is white-blue-red "rings" on the spinner tip which are Slovak national colors and were recognition feature of 13.(Slow)/JG 52.

I'm just wondering is it correct to assume that those spots on cowling were yellow, or were they in fact gray?

And is there any other example of German fighters to be painted with yellow spots on engine cowling?

Attachments

• Copy of 044.jpg
    Copy of 044.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 285
I think it is possible that these spots were of yellow.The colour was very charakteristic for the Eastern front.The unusual scheme could be used because the Slovak squadron was attached to JG52 but in fact it was the JG52 part of different nationality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back