USSR Aircraft weapons

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Charateristics Gh-6-23m:

gsh623-3.jpg

Caliber: 23x115mm

lenght: 1412mm

Height: 205mm

Width: 181 mm

Rate of fire: 8000 to 8500 rounds per minute.

Weight: 71 kg.

Feeding: Disintegrable belt 250 rounds ( Su-24), drum 400 rounds ( MiG-31)

GSh-6-23m in Sukhoi Su-24, the gun had an aerodinamic cover.

Attachments

• 1.bmp
    287.3 KB · Views: 450
  • 2.bmp
    479.8 KB · Views: 455
  • 3.bmp
    274.5 KB · Views: 457
Correction - MiG-27 armed with 30mm 6-barrel gun GSh-6-30 ( 9A-621 , based on the AO-18 gun for naval AK-630 AA mount ) .

Yes, that is correct, the gun was apparently emplaced only in the Su-24 and MiG-31, and in the late production MiG-31M have not the GSh-6-23 wich may indicate some reliability problems.

2 images of the GSh-6-23 location in MiG-31. The gun is close by a tapered shape cover when is not used.

Attachments

• 1.bmp
    334.3 KB · Views: 449
  • 2.bmp
    588.6 KB · Views: 423
Drawings of NS-23 S&KM, NR-23, NR-30, NS-37, N-37D from Nudelman's Pushki dlya samolyetov (Cannons for aircrafts). Poor quality but legible djvu scans. Zipped because are too big.

The drawings handed to me by Tzaw1:

a) NS-23s ( synchronizated)

b) NS-23Km ( turret)

c) NR-23

d) N-37D

e) N-37D

Attachments

• N-37D(2).jpg
    N-37D(2).jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 398
  • N-37D(1).jpg
    N-37D(1).jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 458
  • NR-23.jpg
    NR-23.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 425
  • NS-23KM.jpg
    NS-23KM.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 404
  • NS-23S.jpg
    NS-23S.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 422
Nice, thanks, worth to mention that the 23x115 ammunition used today is not exactly the same as in ww2. The primer is electrical in ignited the AM/ GSh designs not mechanical like in wartimes.

Other change was to reduce the projectile weight thus increasing muzzle velocity.

Articles form Aerokosmicheskoye Obozryenye (Aerospace Digest)

Pushechnoye vooruzhenie reaktivnyih Yakov (Cannon armament of jet Yaks) - third part, russian only.
???????? ?????????? ?????????? ???? | ???????????? ?????? "??????????? ? ??"

Korryektiruyemyie aviabombyi Rossii (Russia's Guided Bombs) - russian only,
First part:
?????????????? ????????? ?????? | ???????????? ?????? "??????????? ? ??"
Third part
?????????????? ????????? ?????? (???????????) | ???????????? ?????? "??????????? ? ??"

Artilleriyskoe vooruzhenie aviatsii (Artillery armament of aviation) - russian only, part one
?????????????? ?????????? ??????? | ???????????? ?????? "??????????? ? ??"

Unfortunately, not all parts are available. Unfortunately, quality some of pictures not good, but very interested.

23x115mm ammo.

Some detail of the ammunition for Ns-23, NR-23, AM-23 and GsH guns.

Attachments

• 23mm 1.jpg
    23mm 1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 400
  • 23mm.jpg
    23mm.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 377
  • 23 3.jpg
    23 3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 392
The Berezin UBT which sits prominently in the rear of the Il-2 seems to be poorly documented in books and on the web.

Every photo that I look at seems to be a different model or mounting and drawings are confusing. For example, I have a drawing of the Il-2 by Harry Woodman, who is usually pretty reliable, showing a cocking lever sitting vertically above the breech/feed area with another vertical handle on the left side, fitted with the trigger. The notes say that the weapon was aimed like a bazooka, with the gun sitting on the right shoulder and held there with the right hand holding a grip under the gun, the gun being fired via a trigger on the left side vertical grip.

Other drawings show a conventional pistol grip under the gun a la Lewis gun. Some show a simple pintle mounting and others show a tubular cradle.

These could be variations on a theme but can anyone clarify the situation for me? Unlike built in forward firing guns and cannon, this weapon is fully exposed and as it is fitted to the most produced aircraft of WW2, it surely deserves better documentation.

Hi Charles,

We fly a 1954 Yak C-11 which was originally fitted with a 12.7mm UBS Machine gun. We want to replicate three units for three Yaks flying in the UK. The 25kg replica will help restore the correct CofG point for the aircraft which is a bit to far aft at the moment. Do you have anything on the UBS that we could use to make the steel replicas? Ideally we need something dimensioned but with a good drawing or photographs I can back-calculate dimensions.
Thanks in advance,
John

Hi Charles,

We fly a 1954 Yak C-11 which was originally fitted with a 12.7mm UBS Machine gun. We want to replicate three units for three Yaks flying in the UK. The 25kg replica will help restore the correct CofG point for the aircraft which is a bit to far aft at the moment. Do you have anything on the UBS that we could use to make the steel replicas? Ideally we need something dimensioned but with a good drawing or photographs I can back-calculate dimensions.
Thanks in advance,
John

Hi John,

I have not seen Charles online for a while. I don't have much info on Soviet weapons but give me a couple of days and see if I can dig any thing up unless Charles chimes in

All the best
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back