VF-84 onboard the USS Bunker Hill

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeep Guy

Recruit
Jul 22, 2012
How many pilots of VF-84 died in the kamikaze attacks on the Bunker Hill on May 11, 1945? VF-84 was the Navy fighter squadron flying Corsairs as part of the composite group CVG-84 Wolf Gang on board the Bunker Hill, serving alongside the Marine VMF-221 and VMF-451 fighter squadrons, Navy VB-84 dive bombing squadron, and Navy VT-84 torpedo bomber squadron. I've seen 16, 18, 19, 22, and 30 pilots killed, but none cite their sources and seem to use all the squadrons interchangeably, talking about rear gunners serving in VF-84 (what rear gun?) and etc... Others mention that it was mostly VMF-451 Blue Devil pilots who died. I'm looking for the number of VF-84 pilots specifically, not non-pilot crewmen of VF-84 or pilots of other squadrons. The only one I'm sure that perished is Chico Freeman, just off the top of my head. A roster or biography of pilots serving in VF-84 would be best, but there isn't a whole lot out there on VF-84, so any answers you've got, I'd appreciate. Please cite them with either a link or the name of the book and author.

Edit - Also, how many VF-84 pilots were onboard the Bunker Hill that May?

Last edited:
Necro thread, but here are the VF-84 pilots killed per the war diary.
Lt. Doris C. Freeman
Lt. John T. Gildea
Lt. Phillip C. Helms
Lt. Caleb Kendall
Lt. Charles T. Larsen
Lt (jg) John J. Sargent
Lt (jg) Gilbert. E Roberts
Lt (jg) Willard J. Rempel
Lt (jg) Gene S. Powell
Lt (jg) Thomas M. Mitchell
Lt (jg) R. Elmer Miller
Lt (jg) Raymond V. Larson