Vic's Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many thanks gents for the interest and kind comments. As mentioned were now in Sicily, that lovely large and very active (volcano) island of the toe of Italy.

We start the trip in the Piazza Bologni Palermo which was just up the road from our hotel on the corner Via Vittorio Emannele and Via Maqueda. As you can see, these are magnificent building but sadly in much need of attention.

This last pic with all the sandbags was a significant artwork emphasizing a very bold statement.

Each of the sandbags bears the name of a person who was killed assumedly at the hands of the Mafia. A very bold protest.

On a lighter note, just across from the Piazza I had my first of many espresso. To my mind even though in the past I've always advocated my preference to a good cuppa tea, when in Italy I drink only espresso for only the Italians know how to truly make a good one!

Vic,
these photos of Palermo are very emotional for me who was born there.
Just think that my mother as a child lived in that building in Piazza Bologni immediately after the war and unfortunately it is still like that even though it is a beautiful building.
Fortunately, in recent years they have been recovering the center of Palermo after converting it into a pedestrian area. We hope they continue because it has really nice building.

Surely other beautiful photos of the Duomo, the 4 Canti etc etc will follow

Many thanks Gents. Unfortunately the next day I was quite unwell and so missed the start of our group outings and spent a day recovering and took an easy stroll that evening, the first two pics showing the architecture on the corner buildings of the cross roads outside our hotel.

The Via Vittorio Emannele. Apologies for the darkness, it was late in the day.

Next morning as an added interest to the tour, we walked to the local market which was up a windy little street that used to be a river bed. As I have said before, I love markets, the vibrance, bustle and above all, verity of produce.
Ballaro Markets.

Here's Vic, those are the famous "Quattro Canti" (four corners).
Looking at your photos is a pleasant emotion for me.
Ballarò is also a very characteristic market of Palermo, there you can hear truly unique and nice dialect phrases, unfortunately difficult to understand for those who are not from Palermo.
And tell me how you ate there.
Palermo's cuisine is "poor" isn't it?! .

Greetings Bernardo

I remember on the first night I had one of my many favorite Italian dishes, a three cheese gnocchi. Sadly I think there was something not quite right about is as I suffered a stomach upset and did not eat the next day. I do remember the via Maqueda being shut off from traffic in the evening and the whole street becoming one huge eating area. We ended up on the next night, our last in Palermo eating large slices of pizza washed down with nice cold beer while watching the people serenade up and down the street. It was fascinating and something I know the Italians do and enjoy so well.

I'm sorry Vic, you haven't been lucky with Palermo cuisine. Unfortunately, the risk of many tourists is not knowing the local dishes well. Gnocchi with cheeses are very good and I like them too, but they are not a typical Sicilian dish. With pizza in Italy you almost never go wrong and therefore it will have gone well. The typical pizza of Palermo is the Sfincione, but you have to like the onion because it is full of it... But I can guarantee you that it is good .
Too bad you didn't eat fish because there, in general, it is very good. But I hope you have tasted some dessert at least .
And at least one rice "Arancina" !!

In

It sounds absolutely delicious!!

Users who are viewing this thread