Some of my Grandfathers pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great pics and thanks. There were lots of pics taken of the burning Graf Spee but original prints are great to have in a collection.

On with the pictures.

This is HMS Heythrop after she'd been hit by torpedo from U-652 and before Eridge took her in tow. The last picture seems to be as they were positioning for the tow, although it might be preparing to take crew off before she went down.

That is some serious damage. I am amazed it floated long enough to start a towing operation

These are the last of the pictures. The page they're on simply says Malta Convoy.
006 (2).jpg
006 (3).jpg
006 (4).jpg
006 (5).jpg

For sure. Interesting that he had the time to take pictures during an attack.

Given that he worked in one of the gun turrets i doubt he took them himself while they were under attack. I have reason to suspect that more than one crewman had copies of these pictures.

Great set of pics.
I used to have quite a collection, showing knocked-out tanks in the Western Desert, taken by my father, plus others of general scenes in North Africa, but they were lost in a house move some years ago - very annoying !

Thank you for posting the photos of HMS Heythrop. My father was on board that day and I can now fully understand why he had a dim view of dramatised depictions of torpedo impacts. He could well have been one of those on the foredeck in the photograph. He went on to be torpedoed a second time on HMS Medway 3 months later. He did make it through WW2 and was called up again for the "Police Action" in Korea. Much to my mother's disappointment as I was a new born at that time. He passed away in 1992 having worked for the Admiralty, ironically, servicing and testing torpedoes in the West of Scotland.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back