Vintage Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
North Central Airlines had a vintage DC 3 #728. Originally it was in service with Eastern Air Lines. North Central used it in regular service until 1965 when it became the corporate aircraft. # 728 logged 83,032 hours in the air and traveled over 12 million miles more than any other aircraft in history. JATO was added to the aircraft for added safety. It was eventually donated to the Henry Ford Museum.

I was with North Central and flew in this aircraft a number of times. We often used it as a static display at air shows. I would accompany it and answer questions from the crowd. The interior was plush with bar, stereo lounge type seats etc. On one occasion we had Bob Hope on board for a short flight. They used to say the only thing left that was original was its "shadow"

This was a fun time in my Commercial Aviation Career. There was much more data such as 550 main gear tires, 25,000(I think) spark plugs but time as erased it from my memory.

Last edited:
Glad that a fantastic piece of history has survived. Wonder if the designers ever even considered that one of their planes would even last that far!

Glad that a fantastic piece of history has survived. Wonder if the designers ever even considered that one of their planes would even last that far!
I doubt it. Aviation was known for its on going creation of something bigger, faster and better.

True. Still a great testament to the strength of the design.:thumbright:
That it was. A funny story about delivering the aircraft to the Henry Ford Museum.The pilots landed the aircraft on museum property. However, before doing so they had to fire the JATO to disarm the system. The police department said they received calls saying an airplane had crashed. :)

That it was. A funny story about delivering the aircraft to the Henry Ford Museum.The pilots landed the aircraft on museum property. However, before doing so they had to fire the JATO to disarm the system. The police department said they received calls saying an airplane had crashed. :)
ZOINKS! For the ignorant, why fire the JATO first?

ZOINKS! For the ignorant, why fire the JATO first?
The aircraft would never fly again. To leave the system armed would present a possible danger for those viewing or working nearby. To disarm it in the air made more sense than on the ground.

The aircraft would never fly again. To leave the system armed would present a possible danger for those viewing or working nearby. To disarm it in the air made more sense than on the ground.
Yes, but much more fun!:) As it is that is probably the fastest that old girl ever went...

# 728 logged 83,032 hours in the air and traveled over 12 million miles more than any other aircraft in history.
No longer the record holder. In 1986 I had the privilege of riding in N37EA(re-registered as N136PB), an ex-Eastern Airlines DC-3 being operated by Provincetown-Boston Airline, which had 91K hours in its log at the time. Having ridden BTV - BOS in a screaming memie Shorts SD-30, and then getting bumped for the next leg, it was a fortunate treat to continue on to ACK in a luxuriously appointed DC-3 (this one had the "speed kit" installed with P&W 1830s, tapered "speed cowlings", and fully enclosed landing gear doors) Smooth, quiet, and secure feeling of luxury, like getting off a two stroke Suzuki crotch rocket vibrator and onto a modern Electra Glide full desser. They even had a photocopy of the current page of the aircraft logbook in a plastic holder on the forward cabin bulkhead. Touched down at ACK in a gusty crosswind and couldn't tell when we made contact with those big soft tires and long stroke oleos.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
No longer the record holder. In 1986 I had the privilege of riding in N37EA, an ex-Eastern Airlines DC-3 being operated by Provincetown-Boston Airline, which had 91K hours in its log at the time. Having ridden BTV - BOS in a screaming memie Shorts SD-30, and then getting bumped for the next leg, it was a fortunate treat to continue on to ACK in a luxuriously appointed DC-3 (this one had the "speed kit" installed with P&W 1830s, tapered "speed cowlings", and fully enclosed landing gear doors) Smooth, quiet, and secure feeling of luxury, like getting off a too stroke Suzuki crotch rocket vibrator and onto a modern Electra Glide full desser. They even had a photocopy of the current page of the aircraft logbook in a plastic holder on the forward cabin bulkhead. Touched down at ACK in a gusty crosswind and couldn't tell when we made contact with those big soft tires and long stroke oleos.
Cheers,
Wes
Records are made to be broken:)

Man, I'd love to fly in one.
The low rumble of a pair of 1830s, soft, plush, WIDE seats, and (get this) LEGROOM! 136PB was configured for 30 passengers instead of the original 24 (high density seating, piston pounder style), and yet I could stretch out my 6'5" frame without banging my knees or bumping my neighbor's elbow. The 300 pounder ahead of me could fully recline his seat without landing in my lap.
And another quaint little tidbit: you could feel the trim change, and if you leaned into the aisle, could see through the open cockpit door the pilot working the trim crank every time someone got up and moved around. And on that short hop from Boston to Nantucket, we all got fed REAL FOOD! Cucumber sandwiches go down so nicely on a hot day. And me without a camera.
I shed a tear when PBA folded.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back