VMF-113: August 1943 - December 1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sky-raider

Recruit
Jul 31, 2005
Hello,

I am doing some research for someone whose father, Richard Louis Potter, served with VMF-113 in the Pacific. I am wondering if you have or can help me find some more information on VMF-113 and perhaps even Lt. Richard Potter? I would really appreciate any help with my search.

Lt. Richard Louis Potter was with VMF 113 from August 1943 when it was formed at El Toro to December 1944 when he left Engebi to return to the States.

As of 31 August 1943 VMF-113 was part of the Marine Base Defense Aircraft Group 41. MAG-41 was first organized at El Toro, California in January, 1943. The unit was redesignated to its current name in 1944. MAG-41's mission was to supervise the training of attached squadrons for combat duty in the Pacific Theater. By WWII's end, approximately 20 fighter, dive and torpedo bomber squadrons had been trained by the Group. MAG-41 was subsequently deactivated in October, 1945.

The Squaron Commander of VMF-113 at that time was Maj. Loren D. Everton a double ace (12 victories) who flew with VMF-212 at Gaudalcanal prior to becoming the CO of VMF 113. Several of the senior pilots of VMF-113 were from VMF-212, among them Frank Drury (8 victories), and Robert "Pop" Flaherty. Other names of pilots, Charles Kimak, CO after Everton, Joe Schellack, Andrew Jones (author of "The Corsair Years"), Emmitt Anglin, Lew Cunningham, Bill Degan, John Zoellner, Joe Tunno, Al Hoffman. Art Buchwald, the columnist, was an ordinance man in this squadron.

The aircraft carrier that they VMF-113 from San Diego to Ewa was the Bunker Hill.
From Ewa to the Central Pacific they took the White Plains. Once in the Central Pacific I think they were pretty much on the land though they may have flown off carriers on occasion.

Lt. Potter's flight log is, regrettably, no longer around so I can't say for sure about carrier activity once they were in the Central Pacific. Maybe you can help me with this, did land based squadrons also fly off carriers?

Lt. Potter's is believed to have had a personal aircraft, the name of the plane was the "Hot Potato".

I have a copy of his service record which shows mission flown etc. I could send you a copy if this would be at all helpful. It does show strikes at Wotje in June, 1944, Mille and Jaluit in August 1944. He also flew bombing missions to Ponope in the the Carolines.

I deeply appreciate any help you can give me,
Kind Regards,

Frederick

evangilder said:
8th AF was in Europe. sky-raider, the guy who would probably be the most helpful would be r leonard. He has quite a lot of info and would probably be the best to answer or assist.

Yes Evan, but the site I put up was US MACR missing Aircrew Combat Report site. the link is for ALL US Aircrew/Aircraft in WWII, its just the link I have is on the 8th AF page. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

As for specific info on VMF-113, I agree Rich probably has it right at hand.

wmaxt

evangilder said:
Ah ok, I missed what you were saying. But is the guy he is looking for one who was lost?

I don't think so but there might be info on his plane/planes. Your direction to Rich will give him more info places, operations etc. that he is looking for though.

wmaxt

Don't have much in the way of specific information on VMF-113 other than what one might find in the standard references such as Barrett Tillman's "Corsair - The F4U in World War II and Korea".

On the other hand, if you send me a PM I can probably point you to some VMF-113 related folks.

Regards,

Rich

Thanks for your replies! Rick, I don't have a copy of Barrett Tillman's book, is it worth buying just for the sake of finding info on VMF-113?

I will PM you right away!

Thanks again!
Regards,

Frederick

My father , SGT ROBERT G BERRY , was with VMF 113 on Enjebi.
He was a ground mech. (Corsairs) I have a roster from thier outfit on Enjebi.
Do you have any pics from the islands? My father passed away when I was 9 years old in 1962.He went to Mech. school in Florida ,then to El Toro then Hawaii before shipping out to the islands. I see from some of his papers that he landed on Kwalejon just before Enjebi.

Steve Berry
[email protected]

Frederick posted a quesion in July 2005. I am trying to locate Rick Potter whose dad was also a fighter pilot of Marine VMF Squadon 113 in WW2. My dad, Joe Van Schellack, and Rick's dad, Richard Louis Potter, both flew Corsairs in the Squadron. Can you help me find Rick?

Linda (Schellack) Ebel

Frederick posted a quesion in July 2005. I am trying to locate Rick Potter whose dad was also a fighter pilot of Marine VMF Squadon 113 in WW2. My dad, Joe Van Schellack, and Rick's dad, Richard Louis Potter, both flew Corsairs in the Squadron. Can you help me find Rick?

Linda (Schellack) Ebel

Hello, Linda, my name is John Austin. I'm sorry to say that I haven't heard of any of the people mentioned in this message thread. I'm actually doing a bit of research of my own, however, so maybe you can help me. :)

My grandfather John Jones served in the Marines during WWII. He fought on Okinawa as well as another island before that, the name of which I can't remember. One of the many stories he told me as a boy was about a mission he went on only a few days after the second bomb was dropped on Nagasaki. The following is a quote from a letter he wrote to military personnel inquiring about some medals that he had lost during a move...

"The medal represented the fact that a small group of us from VMF113 were flown into Sasebo, Japan just a few days after the second bomb was dropped; Early August. About Nov. 6th most of us were then flown to Yokosuka, Japan. VMF113 returned to the United States."

This would have actually put him and the rest of his "small group" way in front of the initial "advance party" that went to Sasebo before the official amphibious landing. It would also mean that they were some of the first Americans to step foot on mainland Japan after they told us they were going to surrender.

His CO had told them that "If you guys don't get killed, we'll know the war is really over". I guess they couldn't think of any other way to tell if the Japanese were for real.

I guess I'm just trying to get some recognition for him and and any of the other guys that may have been there. Most of them probably thought they were going to be killed since the Japanese had a strong track record of not surrendering throughout the war, even in the face of certain painful death.

Anyone else hear of any similar stories? I have a attached a picture that shows my grandfather (labeled "JJ") and a few of his buddies standing in front of what looks like a Corsair.

Attachments

• JJ and Friends.jpg
    JJ and Friends.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 166
Hi Linda -

Just just found your post! I can be reached at [email protected] Look forward to hearing from you. Your father's name is familiar to me from Andrew Jone"s
book. Look forward to making contact with you. Rick Potter

Hello, Rick:

My name is Craig Staab and I am writing you on behalf of my wife, Rachel and her mother, Sally (Brenton) Frank. Sally's father Delbert G. Brenton was apparently a member of VMF 113, although all we have to go on is his discharge papers and a photograph of a group of men with VMF 113 written on the back. Delbert died when Sally was very young, so she doesn't know much of his service time. We were wondering if you had any information you could share. I have just started researching it myself, so I'm not sure where to begin. All we know is that he was discharged as a Sergeant. Somewhere during his service time, he contracted malaria, but we don't know where or when for sure.

Have you heard of Delbert, and would you have any information you could share or a direction to point me in?

Thanks,

Craig Staab
[email protected]

Hello my name is Peter Muehleis doing some research on my father in-law Jerome V. Roberts. We have a picture of him with VMF113 dated May 8,1943 with a group of about 200. The plaque in front of the group reads Capt.Loren D. Everton Commanding and the date. The thread above seems to indicate the VMF 113 dates were from Aug.'43 to Dec. '44. Jerry was a corporal on this picture and we know he had prior service with Marine 1st. Division on
Guadalcanal. He ended his military service as a Tech Sargent. Anyone have any more info on this unit.
Thanks
Pete

Frederick,
I was given a photo of the VMF113 dated February of 1944. It shows the squadron seated on and around a corsair on the island of Engebi. Some of the squadron have autographed the photo. I would gladly email you a copy, if this would help. Contact me at [email protected].

Do you have any pics from the islands? My father passed away when I was 9 years old in 1962.He went to Mech. school in Florida ,then to El Toro then Hawaii before shipping out to the islands. I see from some of his papers that he landed on Kwalejon just before Enjebi.

Steve Berry
[email protected]
Found this in an antique store in my town. Lake ELSINORE, CALIF

20180804_215639.jpg

received_10216894768861732.jpeg

20180804_215601.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this in an antique store in my town. Lake ELSINORE, CALIF

View attachment 504434

View attachment 504436

View attachment 504437

Steve Berry
[email protected]

Just stumbled across this after finding out my grandpa served in VMF-113 as an aircraft mechanic. Steve Berry, if you're still around, would love to chat about your dad's service there, because my grandpa is listed on the same muster roll as your dad (right above him actually, because grandpa's name was Robert G. Bender).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back